Bad News/lift for XJ

JeepTJ38 said:
OK I'll probably wait untill the RE LA kit comes out (Ive still got a little while to get settled) run 33's till I get used to wheeling a bigger rig, use 4.11's or whatever is close. Then if they are too small I'll cut out the fenders and run 35's. Get ARB's F&R and maybe swap in a 8.8 later down the line. But in the end it will be fun to see how this project works out.

Economos I hope I'll have some decent mud tires by the time that trip happens. It will be totally odd to go from a point and shoot machine to something I have to nurse around again.

Well, my main man backed out the other day, so its basically only me who'll be able to go anywhere. I'm still down to roll up to Brown or out to Uwharrie for some wheelin, so we'll see.

As for your build up, I really wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on gears and lockers if you're only going to replace the 8.25 with something else. Just doesn't seem smart to have to do it all over again with a new axle, so why not wheel what you've got till you get ready to swap in something bigger. Just my take anyways... thats why I've still got bone stock axles and 33s.

K here is the new plan. RE says that their kit is still around 2 months out. So im going to get the rockkrawler 6.5 LA kit and 33's. Then when I get use to it I'll cut the fenders and swap in 35's and probably new gears or even an new axle at that point. But I haven't found any shops out here. There arn't even listing in the phone book. 4wheelparts is 3 hours away and they wont install Rockkrawler any way. I could do it myself but dont have a garage or a welder out here, and its a little early to be bumming equipment off work and doing it at the base. Any ideas ?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
JeepTJ38 said:
K here is the new plan. RE says that their kit is still around 2 months out. So im going to get the rockkrawler 6.5 LA kit and 33's. Then when I get use to it I'll cut the fenders and swap in 35's and probably new gears or even an new axle at that point. But I haven't found any shops out here. There arn't even listing in the phone book. 4wheelparts is 3 hours away and they wont install Rockkrawler any way. I could do it myself but dont have a garage or a welder out here, and its a little early to be bumming equipment off work and doing it at the base. Any ideas ?

RE 5.5 kit...........???!!!!! Just a suggestion.......Very bolt on....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
JeepTJ38 said:
yes but I want a LA kit so If I ever drive back to Utah I wont die and I also want the extra inch of lift for the latter 35's.

That kit has the drop brackets that rivals the control arm angle of many long arm kits/conversions. You can add a spacer for the 35" tires or trim. See WayneXJ's rig. The only lift on that is the RE 5.5". Good stuff IMHO, esp. for a bolt on kit......

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
My bro has a 99 XJ with a Teraflex Coil Conversion Kit which puts him at about 8.5" of lift. He's got the long arms up front. He is using TJ short arms in the rear. He could run 35's on the street without trimming, but four wheeling had to have 33's...

He just did some recent trimming, which gave him tons of room... He can now stuff 35's easily. We just tested out his new fender trimming job, and starts on an exo cage down in moab, but we were rushed and didn't have time to throw on his 33's. (he has MT/R's for his 33's, and Pro Comp All Terrains for his 35's) So we just wanted to test the 35's... They stuffed fine no problem, and I am actually suprised at how well the All Terrains did in Moab especially with the lack of sidewall... Sorry to get off subject.

The only problems that we noticed with my brother's XJ is it is very tall... He is very tippy. He drives on the street with his sway bars off and the thing "leans" around corners. On the trail the axle will stay on the ground, but the body keeps wanting to go up. He is too tall...

I think that the 4.5" 5.5" or even the 6.5" kits will be good, go any bigger and you could have the same problems as him as well... But The way the suspension was set up, it will "almost" never lift a tire. I have yet to see it lift one.

Just my 2 pennies

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
What mbryson is saying.. is what I am going to do... same setup as my brother mattvw65... hes jeep is a beast and he didnt do too much that wasnt bolt on, as far as lift.

bigjoe

Are your parents crazy?
Buying an XJ will be just as good a wheeler with the right set up.
I agree with everyone else.
Get the RE 5.5 Extreme duty lift and ask for the adj. upper and lower CA's. It's a $100 upgrade and well worth it if you want to clear the 35's. Use an ACOS spring spacer up front and 2" block in the rear (RE will warranty the springs). Slap on the Bushwackers after a little trimming and you'll have another very capable offroad vehicle that can be driven daily.
Don't forget the SYE kit.
Good luck,
I'd show you a pic of mine but i am a computer illiterate.

Joe