Baja 1000, '09

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The 2009 Baja 1000 just ended and there was some epic racing going on once again. I would love to make it down there one of these years to spectate or even pit for a race team. Videos are starting to get posted from this race, feel free to post up what you find!

Honda vs. Kawasaki in the Baja 1000-

[YOUTUBE]F6myzvvSEZM[/YOUTUBE]

Greg

Admin
Nice! Makes me want to go ride. Snow sucks!

Come down this way... I went riding on Friday from my house, thru Rabbit Valley and out to Cisco. It was brisk, but I dressed for it and ended up having the entire ride to myself. :cool:

Who doesn't love the Trophy Trucks? Neat video of Andy McMillin showing his start, some of the race and his finish, taking 1st in the TT class.-

[YOUTUBE]kjx0iS_eQZY[/YOUTUBE]

LT.

So the question is Greg, if you could race then what class would you like to race in? Baja is supposed to be one of those kind of races where anyone can race if you want. They are supposed to have classes for anyone with a desire to race. I would think that racing a bike would be more cost effective than racing a truck but, I am sure that would still be spendy. But, really, what would it take? I wonder.

LT.

Greg

Admin
So the question is Greg, if you could race then what class would you like to race in? Baja is supposed to be one of those kind of races where anyone can race if you want. They are supposed to have classes for anyone with a desire to race. I would think that racing a bike would be more cost effective than racing a truck but, I am sure that would still be spendy. But, really, what would it take? I wonder.

LT.

Realistically? The only way I could come close to affording to race would be on a bike, but I don't have the funds to put together a race bike, the physical stamina to race, or the time to prepare for something like that... work gets in the way! If I could, that would be one hell of an experience.

That said, a handful of local guys just raced a bike in the 1000 and did quite well. Here's the thread on ADVRider-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515418

4th in their class and 11th over all! If you have time to read the whole thread, it's quite the story. They raced a KTM 250 XC-W.

LT.

I am seeing that you have a year to plan, get a bike ready, and get a team together. I am sure that there are folks on this board that would love to be a part of a team that race in baja. What do you think? The worst thing that could happen is that it just would not happen. I don't think there is any harm in trying.

LT.

Greg

Admin
I am seeing that you have a year to plan, get a bike ready, and get a team together. I am sure that there are folks on this board that would love to be a part of a team that race in baja. What do you think? The worst thing that could happen is that it just would not happen. I don't think there is any harm in trying.

LT.

I'm way too lazy to commit to anything like that... :rofl: If anyone on here is close to prepared for a race like the Baja 1000, it would be Vonski. He races his KTM in the Best in the Desert series and has been doing so successfully for the last couple of years. I would gladly pit for Von, but I don't know that I'm anywhere near prepared to swing my leg over a race bike. Even the smaller 250 races are brutal, you need to be in great physical shape and really know what you're doing on a bike to avoid getting seriously hurt. I'm happy with just lumbering along on my massive pig of a dual sport.

If I even considered racing in the Baja 1000, I would start out like Von has and spend a couple years racing in the BITD series, getting a feel for the pace, the physically demanding course and everything else associated with something as intense as a desert race. Just that right there is a huge commitment.