Baja is Beautiful!

Troop92

My question echoes many others on here - how hard would this trip be to duplicate for someone that doesn't know Spanish (unless high school Spanish 15 years ago counts) and hasn't ever been there? Also, what did it cost you, in total?

Looks amazing. Might have to do this before I have another kid.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Like I told you before, this is a bucket list trip for me. Could a truck like my 02 Duramax handle the roads okay? Would it be possible to stay in BB,s hotels or yurts the entire trip? Thanks again for sharing.

I think your truck would be fine Bart, long as you had a good/tough set of tires and a good spare just in case, then take it easy on the rough roads. You could stay in some decent places w/o camping if you prefer. I'd recommend starting with the Sea of Cortez side, from San Felipe and working your way down the coast, it's prettier than the Pacific side. The thing about Baja is that life runs at a different pace and you're not always going to get what you expect when it comes to rooms/plumbing/showers.

You said that your wife knows the area pretty well, if she wasn't with you or you got into a place that she wasn't familiar with, how do you navigate? Paper maps? GPS?

I'll just throw this out there. I speak Spainish. Take me to Mexico. (I just need to re-up my passport first...)

Thanks for sharing Greg, as I was reading I kept asking myself questions and just a little further they were answered. Like, "I wonder how warm the water is...?"

I do have a Garmin that supports Mexico roads, plus we took a couple maps and a really neat Baja Almanac that is hard to find, as it's now out of print. My wife used to travel all the way to Cabo in the Summer with her family, but that was 25+ yrs ago! We've been taking small trips down there for 10+ years, finally venturing out past San Felipe last year. Here's that report - www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?106241-Exploring-Baja

I've done a lot of research, reading different trip reports here & there and doing my best to get to know the peninsula. I love that kind of thing! We'll see about a future RME Baja trip.... ;) Hope that helps!

I was waiting for this report. Look like a great time! Very cool and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Stratton!

My question echoes many others on here - how hard would this trip be to duplicate for someone that doesn't know Spanish (unless high school Spanish 15 years ago counts) and hasn't ever been there? Also, what did it cost you, in total?

Looks amazing. Might have to do this before I have another kid.

It would be challenging w/o speaking any Spanish, IMO. If you're new to Baja just go down to San Felipe and Bahia de Los Angeles at the most and start to get to know the area, there will be 2 military checkpoints that you'd have to pass thru.

Far as cost, it was pretty affordable IMO. Our biggest expense was probably lodging, we only camped one night and 7 other nights were spend indoors. Prices for the rooms ran from $60-100 per night. Next was gas, I didn't keep track but I would guess we spent about $650 in gas alone. 3,300 miles @ 15 MPG with gas on average costing $3/gallon. We took $800 US in Peso's and spent much of it on food, rooms and gas while we were down there.

bucket list trip for me too. I speak fluent spanish, so if you ever need a translator, hit me up. ;)

Nice, good to know Steve!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...a really neat Baja Almanac that is hard to find, as it's now out of print.

The Baja Alamanac is the go-to for traveling off-road in BC and while it can be expensive (Used for $65+ on Amazon) it is money well spent. It's our #1 resource for logistics planning during Baja races and it was my sole resource for the Expedition Overland Baja journey too, must have. It has gone back in print a time or two and when that happens it is only $25 right from the publisher. I've got a couple copies here I'd loan out (not for sale :D) if anyone is planning a trip down.

...It would be challenging w/o speaking any Spanish, IMO. If you're new to Baja just go down to San Felipe and Bahia de Los Angeles at the most and start to get to know the area, there will be 2 military checkpoints that you'd have to pass thru...

It would be challenging but I wouldn't let it stop you.

On the military checkpoints, in many cases the best thing to do is not speak any Spanish unless you are relatively fluent. Smile, nod, let them point at things they want to see and you'll soon be on your way. Bringing stickers, magazines and energy drinks will get you through without much more than a cursory look in many cases :D.

I would add that anyone considering a trip to Baja should really do it during one of the big desert races down there (such as the Baja 1000). While Ensenda and San Felipe will be crazy busy, you can still have super solitude camping, find accommodations and not deal with traffic all while getting to see 800HP trophy trucks blast down gnarly roads. Some of my first trips to Baja (outside of the tourist zone) were to camp and spectate the Baja 1000. We would check out contingency in Ensenada (which is freaking amazing if you like off-road vehicles, motos and ATV's of all shapes and sizes) and then we would camp along the race course further south a time or two. If your not feeling the race or want to change speeds, camp on the other side of the peninsula or south of the race. I heard someone say they don't go to BC during the races because it would be like going to Moab during EJS... it would be more appropriately described as not going to Utah during EJS as the place is so huge and there are thousands and thousands of miles of routes.

One last thing, insurance. By MX law you are supposed to have a MX insurance policy when traveling outside . I used Baja Bound the first few times I drove down, in the more recent years I was able to get my insurance company to print me a form saying I have full liability coverage in MX, it technically won't satisfy their law that it be from a MX based insurance company but it does protect me from everything but a ticket from them perhaps, i.e. if I were to have an accident coverage would apply but I might get hassled for not having their insurance, take the risk if you like. I've only ever been asked for my insurance coverage once, and they also asked for my title (I make a high quality copy rather than take the original which they ask for). If you don't have title on your vehicle or have a leinholder, you are supposed to take a letter of release from your bank allowing you to travel in MX with the vehicle. It's not something you will likely get asked for but the further south you go in BC the more likely you are and if you ferry from BC to the mainland it is mandatory to have the paperwork before you are allowed to book passage on the boat. BajaBound also has some great information on traveling down there too: http://www.bajabound.com/before/

Great trip report Greg! There is something special about sitting on a beach with toes on the sand with no cell reception :cool:

Greg

Admin
The Baja Alamanac is the go-to for traveling off-road in BC and while it can be expensive (Used for $65+ on Amazon) it is money well spent. It's our #1 resource for logistics planning during Baja races and it was my sole resource for the Expedition Overland Baja journey too, must have. It has gone back in print a time or two and when that happens it is only $25 right from the publisher. I've got a couple copies here I'd loan out (not for sale :D) if anyone is planning a trip down.

The Almanac is a great resource, but since it's not being revised there are some roads shown that no longer exist, so grain of salt & all!

We used this map most of the time, from ITMB. - http://www.itmb.ca/pressrelease.php?map=Baja_California The Almanac is great for detailed routing of a specific part of Baja, but the ITMB map is more handy for general navigation.

It would be challenging but I wouldn't let it stop you.

No doubt!

On the military checkpoints, in many cases the best thing to do is not speak any Spanish unless you are relatively fluent. Smile, nod, let them point at things they want to see and you'll soon be on your way. Bringing stickers, magazines and energy drinks will get you through without much more than a cursory look in many cases :D.

I would add that anyone considering a trip to Baja should really do it during one of the big desert races down there (such as the Baja 1000). While Ensenda and San Felipe will be crazy busy, you can still have super solitude camping, find accommodations and not deal with traffic all while getting to see 800HP trophy trucks blast down gnarly roads. Some of my first trips to Baja (outside of the tourist zone) were to camp and spectate the Baja 1000. We would check out contingency in Ensenada (which is freaking amazing if you like off-road vehicles, motos and ATV's of all shapes and sizes) and then we would camp along the race course further south a time or two. If your not feeling the race or want to change speeds, camp on the other side of the peninsula or south of the race. I heard someone say they don't go to BC during the races because it would be like going to Moab during EJS... it would be more appropriately described as not going to Utah during EJS as the place is so huge and there are thousands and thousands of miles of routes.

One last thing, insurance. By MX law you are supposed to have a MX insurance policy when traveling outside . I used Baja Bound the first few times I drove down, in the more recent years I was able to get my insurance company to print me a form saying I have full liability coverage in MX, it technically won't satisfy their law that it be from a MX based insurance company but it does protect me from everything but a ticket from them perhaps, i.e. if I were to have an accident coverage would apply but I might get hassled for not having their insurance, take the risk if you like. I've only ever been asked for my insurance coverage once, and they also asked for my title (I make a high quality copy rather than take the original which they ask for). If you don't have title on your vehicle or have a leinholder, you are supposed to take a letter of release from your bank allowing you to travel in MX with the vehicle. It's not something you will likely get asked for but the further south you go in BC the more likely you are and if you ferry from BC to the mainland it is mandatory to have the paperwork before you are allowed to book passage on the boat. BajaBound also has some great information on traveling down there too: http://www.bajabound.com/before/

Great trip report Greg! There is something special about sitting on a beach with toes on the sand with no cell reception :cool:

We've been using BajaBound for our insurance the last couple trips, it's easy to get the insurance setup online and printed out. Before that, we'd stop just before crossing the border and get it as a small insurance business. I'll have to see of my agent covers us for Mexico trips! Thru BajaBound this trip cost $140, not bad but if my current insurance will cover us, why not? We haven't taken a title before and never had our paperwork checked yet.

Thanks Kurt!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Cody was in particular mood to be hanging out the last few days. Something about butt-pee. BTDT :D

Ya, I was trying to be agreeable, but was not feeling 100%.

Next year I think we're going to go down mainland Mexico, then ferry across to La Paz and come back up the peninsula.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ya, I was trying to be agreeable, but was not feeling

No explanation needed. I got super sick in Baja this spring on the XO trip. I was wounded and was purging at both ends. I was a bit reserved with my culinary decisions this last trip as result. Will got worked, ie dehydration and iv.

Next year I think we're going to go down mainland Mexico, then ferry across to La Paz and come back up the peninsula.

The ferry is a fun experience and mainland is quite different. However you have to do the TVI and pay the surety bond (refundable) at the Banjercito. There is a Mexico consul in Denver that can issue the TVI before your trip making the border or ferry process a cinch. You can also get the TVI at the border but it's a bit longer process.

Greg

Admin
I added this to the last post in the report, but will bump it up and place the video here too...

Last edited:

blznnp

I got tired of seeing all the post on facebook, like others, little jealous....But, Ill be sure to post a bunch when I am in mexico in a week. Of course I am not doing it as cool as you did, but will see some historic stuff.

Greg

Admin
I got tired of seeing all the post on facebook, like others, little jealous....But, Ill be sure to post a bunch when I am in mexico in a week. Of course I am not doing it as cool as you did, but will see some historic stuff.

I didn't mean to overload friends with all the posts, we had our 10 yr anniversary this year and weren't able to take the trip we wanted. Instead we took 2 smaller trips and tried to make something special out of them. I probably did overshare and feel like I work my ass off all year, deserve a fun trip. Sharing is caring. :p

blznnp

Oh I enjoyed the pictures. I wish I could convince my wife to do a trip like that. We are heading down for our 10 year also, but on the other side, in playa del Carmen. No cool back country style adventure.

Colorado Uli

Thanks for the detailed write up, Greg.

Hey, having ridden dual-sport bikes in some of the more remote locations on the peninsula, I would like to also pipe in on the use of the best (as of now) paper map, the Baja Almanac. Please use it with much greater care then you would use a U.S. highway map. The folks who used to publish it obviously did a fantastic job compiling such a huge number of roads of all types and conditions. But without a government-type budget to send out the marines to constantly verify actual conditions and construction projects, there's just no way to maintain it's accuracy. Impossible. So unless you're certain that the road is well traveled recently and probably GTG, please ask the locals and/or experienced visitors about the possibility of traveling on a particular track before setting out on it. On a bike I have traveled many arduous miles through the mountains only to finally come to a spot where the road (goat trail) was washed off the side of a mountain cut allowing only bikes and goats to pass -- sucks to be there in a jeep, no?
Do NOT trust the Almanac's system of classifying the road size, such as "major", "minor" etc. Yes, mostly it's pretty spot on, but many other times it means very little. A road that is marked as a major connector may turn into nothing but an almost forgotten deep-sand track that nobody else will travel for days at a time. So please don't just trust the maps, but look at the dirt in front of you and make smart decisions about where you go.

Back to your regular scheduled program now.

Uli

Colorado Uli

Thanks Greg! :bow:

Although I may not play much with my FJ, my contribution here will be to correct Greg in the pronunciation of Unimog. You're welcome.

Prost!