Ball Joint Spacers

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm pretty sure DAA is my spirit animal, because that's always how I've done it too. Assuming we're talking about ball joints and such, you're not going to overtorque that puppy by going to the next notch.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I think he means that the cotter pin hole is completely above the height of the castle nut. As in with the nut tight, the top "castle" part of the nut is not going to be engaging any cotter pin and therefore the cotter pin isn't going to keep the nut from backing off.

My opinion is yes, if you put a good heavy duty washer in there (like grade 8 or whatever, you can get ones that are thicker than standard so hopefully you don't have to use more than 1-2 washers) but I'd think you'd be fine.

Or, you might be able to find a castle nut that is a little longer.

Or also, the cotter pin really is only a safety device for *if* the nut backs off. The nut shouldn't[\i] back off if torqued correctly, so even if you put a castle nut and it wasn't engaged in any of the castle notches, it wouldn't prevent the nut from loosening a bit but it would prevent it from coming all the way off.

Reactions: DAA

gatchmo5710

It is absolutely acceptable to space it out with washers. Much better then over torqueing or just putting in the cotter key way above the castellation. 90% of hardware on my helicopters are torqued that way.

ZUKEYPR

I think he means that the cotter pin hole is completely above the height of the castle nut. As in with the nut tight, the top "castle" part of the nut is not going to be engaging any cotter pin and therefore the cotter pin isn't going to keep the nut from backing off.

My opinion is yes, if you put a good heavy duty washer in there (like grade 8 or whatever, you can get ones that are thicker than standard so hopefully you don't have to use more than 1-2 washers) but I'd think you'd be fine.

Or, you might be able to find a castle nut that is a little longer.

Or also, the cotter pin really is only a safety device for *if* the nut backs off. The nut shouldn't[\i] back off if torqued correctly, so even if you put a castle nut and it wasn't engaged in any of the castle notches, it wouldn't prevent the nut from loosening a bit but it would prevent it from coming all the way off.

Exactly the situation. I believe when I initially put them on (less than 2 years ago I think) I ran the specified torque but that drove the castle nut way to high for the cotter pin so I just backed it back down. Now I got at leaast 1/4" up/down movement. I believe that is what's causign my (lack of a better description) two quick bangs when tires are turned to steering wheel lock in either direction, at slow speeds, and I hit the brakes. Thought I'd try the spacer method before I go buying brand new ball joints. They weren't cheap (Synergy)