Dodge Ball Joints on 2003 Dodge Ram, 2500 w/CTD

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
This might be late, but I bet the ball joints do pass inspection.

Mine(2004) didn't pass either and the wheel wiggled like crazy so they failed it. I took it to my friend who is a mechanic to get them fixed and he checked them with the dial indicators and they actually did pass, by quite a bit. The aam axles on dodges have a huge play and can still be within spec. Check with alldata I think it was like 3 times what a dana 60 front can have. The shops usually don't use indicators on them and just guess by wiggling the wheel. If he doesn't have the money to fix then that is an option.
So I wonder if we have any recourse against a shop that fails a vehicle, even if it is within legal limits?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I just went back and told him it was within spec. I had the Apodaca print out and told him he needed to get out the dial indicators and check it. He said he has the same axle and it isn't in spec. My wife piped up and said his axle is a Dana 60 and ours is an AAM. He blushed and a tear came to my eyes. I said let's just vet the highway patrol to come see he doesn't know how to use indicators and he singled the paper that is passed threw it on the ground and stormed away.

If it passes they have to pass it, even if they don't want to. You just have to help them see reason sometimes.