Ballistic fab coilovers.

cjncustoms

Is anybody running or have run or know anything good or bad about the ballistic fab coilovers? Just wondering cause i am starting to gather parts for my build and was interested in them:D

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Ballistic fabrication is a good company and they make quality parts for a good price. I havent heard anything about there coilovers so im no help there. However i will be ordering all my brackets for my axle from them this week.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
For the simple fact that they tend to blatantly rip off ideas and designs from other companies and good people, I'd stay away from Ballistic. Just my opinion.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
So are you guys just talking about there coilovers and shocks? Because i am ordering axle brackets this week and i was planning on using them. Ive heard lots of good stuff about there brackets. Just not there new stuff.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So are you guys just talking about there coilovers and shocks? Because i am ordering axle brackets this week and i was planning on using them. Ive heard lots of good stuff about there brackets. Just not there new stuff.

It's a philosophy thing. Do you want to support the actual innovator/originator/inventor of products or do you want to support a guy that specializes in copying stuff. I'd look elsewhere, but that's just me.

mbryson

Supporting Member
can you give me the email address of web adress of the original innovator/originator/inventor of there brackets? Then i might consider.

Well, since I have NO IDEA exactly what you're looking at that's kinda hard to help you with. I'd check your favorite local shops first (Ben Hanks, Sexton, etc.), then maybe rockstomper.com and Blue Torch Fab? If you're just looking for 4 link brackets, LOTS of places should have a setup.

Last edited:

MRJ

Just a user
Coil overs

For shocks there are other shocks in the lower price range that I would look into. HERE

Or go with someone proven time and time again like Fox, or Sway a way, or King in no particular order.

As for tabs and brackets K.O.R.E. has some nice ones, also Bluetorch Fab, Poly Performance, for TJ or Jeep coil specific (I'm assuming for your ZJ) Mad 4wd has some nice stout brackets.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Aren't you planning on using Clayton's suspension? If so, why not just get the bracketry from him?

Devel

Just an Outlaw....

I bought their frame mount brackets and their little jig setup they have is completey useless, its way off, the bolt holes where off by 1/4" :eek: even after you cut off their jig. DO NOT BUY THEIR STUFF

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
As for tabs and brackets K.O.R.E. has some nice ones, also Bluetorch Fab, Poly Performance, for TJ or Jeep coil specific (I'm assuming for your ZJ) Mad 4wd has some nice stout brackets.

Yes they are for my ZJ, and i have checked out Mad 4wd and they are pretty pricey, but no where near some of the other companies. But its been a while sence i checked, dont they just sell a kit (upper/lower control arm mounts, and coil buckets) If so thats just waisting money because i dont need upper brackets.

Aren't you planning on using Clayton's suspension? If so, why not just get the bracketry from him?

Yes im going with Clayton's 4-link rear setup, however; i am aware that there brackets are about $300?? is that right? I do realize that nothing hangs below the tubes, but that isnt a huge concern to me.

The difference between Claytons pricing and Ballistic Fab's pricing is about $215 (if Claytons was $300 which im unsure of) I dont know about other people, but that is a ton of money which could go towards other things that im doing at the same time.

It just stumps me how some people could have such good luck with them, and other say to stay far far away from them....

mbryson

Supporting Member
.....Yes im going with Clayton's 4-link rear setup, however; i am aware that there brackets are about $300?? is that right? I do realize that nothing hangs below the tubes, but that isnt a huge concern to me.

The difference between Claytons pricing and Ballistic Fab's pricing is about $215 (if Claytons was $300 which im unsure of) I dont know about other people, but that is a ton of money which could go towards other things that im doing at the same time.

It just stumps me how some people could have such good luck with them, and other say to stay far far away from them....

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I think this will be true in this case. Just my opinion and it's worth exactly what you paid me for it.

For $100 difference, I'd get the quality kit. For $200 difference, I'd probably get the quality kit.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Well i will look around at the places listed above and see what i decide on. I will keep you updated, and if i decide to go with Ballistics, i will let you know my impression and how they worked out.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Ballistic's coil buckets will squeak like crazy. Clayton's wont.

I'm using modified front D30 buckets on my rear 44, with Clayton's truss (that comes with his kit). I'm hoping these won't squeak, cause they didn't before. Find a disco D30 in someone's scrap pile (cuase thats where they belong...) and take it's buckets.

I looked at Ballistic, but based on all the peices they have ripped off from Summit Machine, and their wonderful Quality Controll process, I'll stay away.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
My experience with them was very negative. All I wanted was some DOM, heim joints, and threaded ends to extend my radius arms for a SAS. They changed my order without contacting me at all. They didn't tell me that they didn't make part of what I wanted and when that was figured out it took them almost 2 months to refund what I had paid for and never received.

I personally will never deal with them again.