Bamboo flooring and dog

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Anyone have any firsthand experience with the wear and tear of an active medium/large sized dog on bamboo flooring?

We'll be making a decision in the coming weeks on what to put down in our house.

Any comments and recommedations are welcome.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Anyone have any firsthand experience with the wear and tear of an active medium/large sized dog on bamboo flooring?

We'll be making a decision in the coming weeks on what to put down in our house.

Any comments and recommedations are welcome.

I don't think bamboo is any harder on dogs than Pergo. My dogs have held up just fine for 8 years on ours.

;)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
^^^Thats funny

We are putting wood floors in our house next week and it was the recommendation of the contractor to go with a harder wood and a handscraped finish, so we are going with hickory. It will show less marks made by the dogs and will hold up better.

Last edited:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Growing up with Hardwood floors (not necessarily bamboo) and dogs the biggest thing is just to keep their nails trimmed and filed smooth (not just trimmed the filing smooth makes a huge difference). Hand scraped finish will help hide the inevitable scratches but no matter what floor the finish will get scratches in it.

Caleb

Bamboo is the cheapest to put down but it's also one of (if not the) softest wood floors. Even without a dog you will end up with scuffs and scratches in a bamboo floor, a big dog will just make it worse.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Coreshot brought the funnay! :)

Our last apartment was 70% hardwood flooring and our dog was brutal on it.. But, the floor never showed signs of abuse. So i'm not entirely worried, but, I have no clue what type of wood it was.

Not that I overly care too much but bamboo is considered a renewable resource since it can grow so damn fast. I'm all about my carbon footprint guys..

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Morning Star Strand Bamboo is rated at 103% harder than Northern Red Oak, whereas Morning Star Bamboo is about 15% stronger than Northern Red Oak.

So there are some very strong bamboos out there.

Caleb

Morning Star Strand Bamboo is rated at 103% harder than Northern Red Oak, whereas Morning Star Bamboo is about 15% stronger than Northern Red Oak.

So there are some very strong bamboos out there.
Yes there are. Stand is the most dense, denser than the horizontal or vertical grain bamboo. They key with bamboo is getting it when it's been harvested at the correct age, which is about 6 years old. Before or after that and it gets softer and softer.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I have a bamboo floor in my kitchen, but don't have a dog. It looks good, but I wouldn't recommend it. It is really soft and dents and scratches easily. It does clean up really nice and I always get tons of comments on how good it looks. It's like anything else...you pay for what you get.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
We're on a budget, though not 100% sure what it is just yet.. We're looking at approx 200 sq feet, maybe less if I do some tile work in the main enterance.

Looking at maybe a 8mm Mountain Pine Laminate... I'm just barely looking into floors, so I know very little.

Caleb

Interesting.. Are you in business? You seem to know you shtuff
:rofl: No, I looked in to it a lot a couple years back when we did my Dad's floors. He ended up going with a brazilian cherry floor. Also my brother seems to think that he's mister enviro-friendly so I like to prove him wrong :D

Are you planning on laying it yourself? With the right tools, it's really easy to do. Myself, my Dad, and my brother did my Dad's entire upstairs (about 2000 sqft.) in less than a weekend (about a day and a half). The prep leading up to the laying of the floor was a ton of work, but actually laying the floor was cake.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I have a question for you, Jason-- I really wanted bamboo but was sternly warned about installing it here in UT due to the low humidity causing cracking issues-- which made me ask "Well then why the $@#%# do you have it for sale, then?" but anyway. Have you been cautioned similarly, and if yes, what coping mechanisms were suggested, and if no, was anything said at all?

I like the look of it. And I only need about 100sq ft of it for this useless front "room".

notajeep

Just me
I have a question for you, Jason-- I really wanted bamboo but was sternly warned about installing it here in UT due to the low humidity causing cracking issues-- which made me ask "Well then why the $@#%# do you have it for sale, then?" but anyway. Have you been cautioned similarly, and if yes, what coping mechanisms were suggested, and if no, was anything said at all?

I like the look of it. And I only need about 100sq ft of it for this useless front "room".

Tacoma,
Please dont put a wood floor in your Blazer.
Thankyou
All of RME