Bamboo flooring and dog

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I haven't actually talked to a company yet about flooring.. so i've not been swayed one way or the other. With warranties upwards of 30yrs though... I mean, that's a long time.

We've just barely begun to talk about what we want to do with floors.. She's not liking my idea of stone tiles at the enteranceways, and wood in the kitchen/hallway... I think that's the way to go.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I haven't actually talked to a company yet about flooring.. so i've not been swayed one way or the other. With warranties upwards of 30yrs though... I mean, that's a long time.

We've just barely begun to talk about what we want to do with floors.. She's not liking my idea of stone tiles at the enteranceways, and wood in the kitchen/hallway... I think that's the way to go.

Better get the Man Hand out. Good for getting "your way" and "sammiches"

hehe Stone tiles at the entry ways are cool looking, but slipperyish. Proceed w/caution. Also, slate sucks up water and cracks, if you're going that route. Pretty much all your sedimentary rock + water = possible aesthetic issues w/cracks. ;)

Kiel-- you're right. There is acres of it in the panels. And the 45' long headliner!! Jiminy Cricket!

Caleb

I have a question for you, Jason-- I really wanted bamboo but was sternly warned about installing it here in UT due to the low humidity causing cracking issues-- which made me ask "Well then why the $@#%# do you have it for sale, then?" but anyway. Have you been cautioned similarly, and if yes, what coping mechanisms were suggested, and if no, was anything said at all?

I like the look of it. And I only need about 100sq ft of it for this useless front "room".

I've never heard that before, but any kind of flooring will crack if it's not laid properly. You have to acclimatize the flooring before it's laid. Which means putting the stack of flooring in the room it's going to be laid in atleast several days before hand, the longer the better. My Dad's was in his house for probably two weeks before we laid it. This is also based on a real wood or engineered floor, I don't know much (nor do I care much) about the laminate floors.

PBandCJ

like the "sam-itch"
i'm in the business of flooring, we have some tile with a print of bamboo in three or four colors it looks pretty cool (tile and wood). And many other things to look at. pm me if interested and we can do some #'s (i don't get commish so no worrys)

i just didn't what to put the name out there

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've never heard that before, but any kind of flooring will crack if it's not laid properly. You have to acclimatize the flooring before it's laid. Which means putting the stack of flooring in the room it's going to be laid in atleast several days before hand, the longer the better. My Dad's was in his house for probably two weeks before we laid it. This is also based on a real wood or engineered floor, I don't know much (nor do I care much) about the laminate floors.

We redid the 5500sq.ft farmhouse I grew up-- pulled all the oak flooring, fixed the subfloor, reinstalled it and sanded/refinished it. I am skeptical of the claims, I mean, we're on the lowish side of humidity, but this isn't Death Valley. Personally, I think they were trying to get me to buy more expensive flooring. Bamboo is fairly inexpensive, which is also why I like it :D. I think I might just do it regardless of what they tell me, and see how it goes. 100sq.ft. is not much of an investment.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I vote for Pergo type flooring that I put in our house. Just don't go dropping crankshafts or heads on it. Did you know that each variety of bamboo blooms at the same time all over the world?

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Heres some pictures of what a dog can do to bamboo.

While I was installing this floor in my daughters room one of our 80 lb. pitbulls came tearing through the house and did this.

Now keep in mind he had very long claws and is a maniac. Now we try and keep the dogs out of that room, but even when they do go in there as long as they aren't running and trying to get traction they are fine on it.

But it only takes once :eek:

DSC03262.jpg

DSC03261.jpg

DSC03260.jpg

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
we just had our living room done. engineered hand scraped hickory 4" planks.it looks awesome. the guy that did it owns a flooring remnant store. he had some great prices. he will sell you the wood alone or install it for a decent price. if your interested i will send you his info. it would have cost me the same to install bamboo my self. and all i had to do was tear out the carpet and pad and remove the staples. he did it all in less than 12 hours over two days.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
if your interested i will send you his info. it would have cost me the same to install bamboo my self. and all i had to do was tear out the carpet and pad and remove the staples. he did it all in less than 12 hours over two days.

Yes please. I really don't like doing flooring. :D