Barracks Trail conditions for a late April run

XJEEPER

I have a co-worker who recently moved to Utah from AZ and plans on spending this weekend in the Zion's area. Plan is for a couple of days hiking with his GF in ZNP, and since he owns a stock 2010 JK 4 Dr Rubicon, would like to do some exploring in the area. I've run Sand Hollow quite a bit and gave him some tips, but he'll be running solo and would prefer a mild trail with great scenery.

I've watched the vids of the Barracks Trail, which appears to fall in 3-4-ish rated catagory, but the wild card would be the water depth, as there are multiple stream crossings.
Any insight from locals with experince in the area are appreciated. Feel free to recommend other trails in the area that would fit the Novice catagory, if any.

TIA,
Jeff

Kirk

I've done this trail several times - the river crossings can be bad in a high runoff year - I have family down there - one of them had to pull out a jeep where the water was running above the hood - but thats the exception. Its usually not that deep. There is a sand hill that can be tough to climb if its dry(if you leave from Mt Carmel towards the sand dunes - which is the easier direction for the water crossings in my opinion) There is a decent trail that we call "Poverty" (not sure if the maps show that name - the turnoff of a few miles before you get to the east Zoins entrance, that heads south from the highway (there is a gate 30 yards form the highway you have to go through - its a dead end - but not real tough. There is a BLM map available at the Kanab field office that has all these roads - its very good. (I just bought one - $9.00) There are also good trails behind the sand dunes (Lamb Springs) that are fun......Lots of places to go.... We go down there 4-5 times a year. Hog Canyon is fun - and has several fun trails.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Don't pay $9.00 for the BLM maps. I have a whole box full that the BLM gave me to hand out and I would be happy to send anyone one or two.

Is this trail any difficult? Fullsize dodge, geared locked armored and on 37's. I've done the hammers with it. Just curious as to if it will be worth it? Also, I'm headed to St George. Recommended trails? After I was thinking of heading home to Salt Lake. How far is Snakes/Constrictor? Amd would anyone like to wheel with me? I'll be in salt lake on the 6th.

Kirk

This trail is mostly a sandy road with some river crossings - There are no rock crawling type obsicles that I can think of..... Last time I did it was July 24th last summer. Water was low, but the sand hill was difficult because the sand was dry - most of us had to try 3-4 times - there is a switchback in the middle of the hill, so you lose your speed. There was a full size blazer with us but he is pushing 500 hp. I've never not made it through..... IMO - this is more about going through a cool area, than climbing challenging obsicles. Hog Canyon would be better for that......

Last edited:

XJEEPER

Kirk, thanks for the feedback.

As originally stated, my friend has a stock Rubi and is new to the area and will be running this solo, so he's more interested in the views and exploring than challenging obstacles. As I view this, the stream depth is the wildcard. Current stream conditions would be very useful.

Kirk

I just called my cousin who lives down there- they are irrigating out of that creek. He said water won't be an issue- he said folks have been riding atv's through it with no problems. i would think he would be fine. I'm not a big fan of going alone, but to each his own ;-)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Don't pay $9.00 for the BLM maps. I have a whole box full that the BLM gave me to hand out and I would be happy to send anyone one or two.

I got a handful of maps in the mail yesterday. These look very cool, thanks Don! Now I just need to make time to get down there. :)