Barrett Canyon and Carnage Canyon legality....

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I just had a nice chat Rick Vallejos of the US forrest service Recreation division. I showed him exactly where carnage canyon and barrett canyon are on the topographical and the wicked cool aerial photography maps he had availible in his office and here is the verdict.....

carnage canyon was recently acquired by the US Forrest service and is off limits to off-highway travel as of right now. He also stated that they are re-evaluating roads in the wasatch-cache national forrest area and that if we have input on this trail, we need to let our voices be heard through public opinion meetings. I am now on the mailing list for these meetings and I will keep you posted....so

CARNAGE CANYON IS DEAD!!! We cannot go there and we will be ticketed to the fullest extent of the law if we choose to do so. Enter at your own risk kind of thing....

Now on to barrett canyon.

We examined these trails in detail on their WICKED COOL aerial photo maps that had topographical overlays and everything!! We came to the conclusion that the trail above the aquaduct is impossible to get to without a 30' vertical winch pull....after that gigantic waterfall, it turns into forrest service land.....

here is the tricky part, in order to get there, we would have to secure permission to cross the various private properties that have established trails to access this area.

The easiest route would be to take the telephone pole trail that runs under the power lines. This would mean we have to contact the Power comapny as they have a right of way access agreement with this area. The road is well established and relatively easy to travel.

The other issue is that the land that the trail is located on it indeed private, we would need to locate this land owner and secure permission to access this land....other than that, this land is not restricted to the stringent rules stated in the US forrest service charter....we can get to it and have a blast on it if we can get access to it....

what do you guys think?

carnage is a wicked nasty trail but barrett has its own unique challenges as well...loost nasty rocks with boulders all over the place....super fun for all!!

trpl xj

I'm a little lost here where is the Barrett trail at? I know about were the carrage trail is, never been there but I have read the directions and have a really good idea where it's at.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by spencurai
the red crosshair is the spot...

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=4577040&e=420031&size=m

COOL!!! Excellent research and permission. Now do you know who the property owners are?

One of us (maybe you) should contact them and speak with them about crossing their land for our use. See if there's some mending of fences or something useful as far as monitoring if their cattle are out or something for encouragement.

NICE!

trpl xj

I'm about 90% sure I know were it is. I think I have been there several times. The area is "or was" I haven't been up there for year or so, pretty popular. That area is allot of fun to go play in the snow. The last time I was up there the power company had bulldozed the road along the power lines and turned it into a 2wd road. Before there were a few spots that we kinda fun.

The road to barrett canyon goes straight up towards the bottom of Ben Lomand then disapears into a wash, am I right?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
yes.....but the road is the boring part in the spring time....the wash is where the psyhosis begins, as you head up the road you will see a path that goes of to the left and into the wash about 200 yards from the power line road...you head into that and up the wash through the boulder fields. It takes a good hour or so to claw your way through but it is a blast!!

trpl xj

cool I never say that path before, of course the last time I was up that road was 2 years ago and I wasn't looking for it. So how tough is the wash do you need to be locked in both ends or can you do it with one locker? If it can be done with one locker I would like to try it some time. My xj is only locker in the rear, but I have fairly good ground clearance and some way low gears.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the forrest service and some local city planners have been up there moving a lot of rock around since there is a huge water runof problem so things have changed a lot since you have been there.

you could do it with 1 locker. It just makes it funner.

both jp008 and bb88 and myself did it with rear lockers in our suzukis.

it is loose and boulder strewn so be prepared for some body damage around the rocker panel area.

jp008

I recommend 2 lockers, 35's and a winch (or some good friends and a strap). I did Ok with 33's and a rear locker. When you get past the large waterfall (white knuckle2) you WILL have body damage. I have not made it past WK2 because the carb does not like vertical situations. But anyway, I will continue to go up there to check things out. Alot of hikers walk up this trail and it seems to be quite a party spot. There is a hammock in the trees and there is always litter. We try to haul everything we see out. (except for the hammock).

I may not drive the trail, but I will be walking it and doing the duty of cleanup.

I think Spence, myself and BB88 should get together with some of the "big boys" from this board and walk through this place to see if it is something worth fighting for. I believe it is.

Lemme know.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I believe it is something we should try to get established....it honestly gives constrictor a run for its money!!! And I mean that in all seriousness having hiked both!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by demon jeep
On the land owners gps out what you can and contact the county records some time they have it on record with the gps# it is worth a try

excellent idea...I will get out there and plot out the area. It is a great excuse to get back up there one last time in the name of striving to be legal...gotta wait for the stinking weather to get better though!!