Battery poll, is Optima all that?

Which one are you using, if not on the list please post.

• Optima, red, yellow, or blue

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Duralast

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Autolite

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Diehard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exide

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Motorcraft

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other, please list

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Cherokeester

I have been reading around on some other forums and it seems Optima has been degrading in quality and I was wondering what everyone is running. What are your opinions?

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
There was a really long thread about red top Optimas not too long ago. Also, Consumer Reports recently did an article on car batteries. The Optima red top was second, the only battery that they rated better was the Diehard Platinum 50090 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850090000P?vName=Automotive&keyword=50090
This might be worth a try, but it is considerably more expensive.
I've had four red tops over the years in different vehicles and only one problem. I've had three Excide Orbitals with two failures. I bought an Optima for my newest project. ;)

richpblaze

Yellow tops

Don't do well sitting for long periods (may have an unknown battery drain)I've killed one, recieved a brand new one at no cost. so if it will be sitting for awhile it is on a charger no problems since. I will buy another yellow top when I convert to dual batteries.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't know true this is, but I read it recently on another forum... it really makes sense when I consider my old Optimas that still work yet hear of new ones that failed...

you'll find that most of the complaints start to crop up a couple years ago. Reportedly Optima was bought by some company who decided to make more profit. We all know where that leads.
Supposedly those issues have been 'fixed', but these posts persist so I'm not so sure. I've got a set of the NAPA copies that I'm not impressed with, but both of my Optima's have been great. The Red Top may now be a dead player as it's sat too long at a low state. I guess I'll find out shortly......

The early Red's were phenomenal, the one I had went 9+ years, the first 4 in the desert racer jeep-thing.
Then they did lower the quality a bit but they still kicked arse.
The first year or so of the new top design were hit-'an-miss, lots of problems.
The more recent seem to be perty good.
I have 3 in vee-hickles (two oldies, 1 newer) 'an one on the shelf fer backup.
I like 'em, I have had good luck with them.

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
aside from luck the optima has a three year free replacement and a three year pro rate thats a hell off a lot better than the pro comp or the orbital.... I do the red top great choice....

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
aside from luck the optima has a three year free replacement and a three year pro rate thats a hell off a lot better than the pro comp or the orbital.... I do the red top great choice....

Last I checked the Orbital carried an 84 month warrantee, 3 years free replacement and the remaining 4 years prorated.

I know a lot of people aren't happy with their Orbitals, but it's not because of an inferior warrantee. ;)

Cherokeester

Optima

Here is a quote from Jeepforum.com under the cj section. Again this is a quote from a guy I don't know from Adam.

(start quote)
How about some information from a guy that owned and operated a starter, alternator & battery shop, mostly for heavy equipment, for about 10 years....

'Optima' is what is known as an 'Activated Glass Matt Battery'.
AGM for short.

AGM doesn't use a liquid electrolyte.
Instead, it uses a fiberglass mat, saturated with a gell type electrolyte.

The lead plates and AGM are piled up on one another, then rolled into a cylinder shape.
Battery guys call them 'Jelly Rolls'

That's what gives the AGM batteries their 'Six Pack' design.

There are problems with the fiberglass design, and the failure rate for them when I handled them was about 80%.
Now I understand it's about 50%, but that's not very good either, when every other one is going to die in service.

The problem begins with the pates converting chemical energy (Acid acting on the plate material, creating an electrical current) into electrical energy.
When this happens, bubbles are created.

Those bubbles are now a dead spot on the plate and can't conduct electricity anymore.

With a true 'Gell' cell, you can heat the electrolyte paste in a controlled environment, and liquefy the paste to release the gasses, but with a rolled AGM, the gasses are just stuck there against the plates, working as an insulator.

Capacity of the battery is reduced because of the bubbles, so it the areas of plate that are still in contact with the electrolyte have to work harder, causing bubbles to form there...
And the cycle repeats until the battery is useless.

The same is true with over charging.
Overcharging will form bubbles at the plates, and render the batteries useless.

Now, some things to think about...

1. Warranty on a Optima is only one year (12 months), and up to 50% of these won't live through that warranty period...

2. Optima's are around $125 each (discounted), with a one year warranty.
That's about $10.50 a month just for the privilege of saying you have an 'Optima' under the hood.
(Average liquid electrolyte batteries will run you about 0.75¢ a month over an average 60 month warranty)

3. There is a 50% chance your expensive battery will fail in the first year, and over a 90% chance the battery will fail inside of 3 years.

4. Discount, off the shelf liquid electrolyte batteries are under $50 and have a 5 year or more warranty.

5. Discount batteries are normally 'Spill Resistant' and leak none or very little when inverted for a short period of time.

6. The normal 'Jeeper' DOES NOT invert their vehicle on a regular basis, so a 'Leak Proof' battery isn't required.

7. If you are a profession rock climber, or just someone that can't keep your wheels on the ground, a true 'Gell Cell' battery is absolutely leak proof.

8. A true 'Gell Cell' is absolutely Shock Proof.
You will fracture the case before you break a plate loose.

9. A true 'Gell Cell' is comparable in price for the cranking amps produced by the AGM batteries.

10. "PROPER USE" of an AGM or Gell Cell battery is slow discharge, like for battery back up of computers or telephones.

Rapid discharge, like starting a vehicle engine or running a winch, is absolutely going to damage a single AGM battery.
Rapid discharge, and subsiquant rapid recharge will create the bubbles mentioned earlier.
You might stand a chance with TWO AGM batteries in parallel, but I believe (from experience) you will damage both, just much slower.

I purchased two liquid electrolyte batteries, made a custom battery tray, made custom battery cables, and installed a battery isolator relay for the cost of just one AGM battery locally.

Now I'm redundant on batteries,
I can jump start myself,
Weld off the batteries since liquid electrolyte will allow for that rapid of a discharge,
I can finish the day wheeling if my alternator give out on the trail (and it has) by just turning off the extra stuff, radios, electric fan, ect.,
And I have no fear of winter starts!
Twice the cold cranking amps with the twist of the starter switch...
(End Quote)

Last edited:

Cherokeester

Here is the warranty info on the Optima's. I did not know the 3 different models carried different length warranties.

Optima Battery Warranties

The Optima warranty is honored at Optima dealers nationwide.

Model Optima Manufacturer's Warranty

BLUE MODELS

D31M 18 months free replacement + 18 months pro-rated2,3,4
D34M 18 months free replacement + 18 months pro-rated2,3,4
TF1800 18 months free replacement + 18 months pro-rated2,3,4
34M 18 months free replacement + 18 months pro-rated2

YELLOW MODELS

D31A 24 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated3,4
D31T 24 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated3,4
D34 12 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated2,3,4
D34/78 12 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated2,3,4
D35 12 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated2,3,4
D75/25 12 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated2,3,4
D51 12 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated2,3,4
D51R 12 months free replacement + 12 months pro-rated2,3,4

RED MODELS

34 36 months free replacement + 36 months pro-rated1,2,5
34/78 36 months free replacement + 36 months pro-rated1,2,5
34R 36 months free replacement + 36 months pro-rated1,2,5
75/25 36 months free replacement + 36 months pro-rated1,2,5
35 36 months free replacement + 36 months pro-rated1,2,5
25 36 months free replacement + 36 months pro-rated1,2,5
6V 24 months free replacement + 36 months pro-rated1,2,5

Notes:

1: Red Top starting batteries are not covered for deep cycle/car audio use: Use a deep cycle Blue Top or Yellow Top battery.
2: During a "pro-rated" warranty period, compensation for defect is based on the portion of total warranty period that remains.
3: Deep cycle models, when used in series string applications with battery management system or CV/CC charge method have 12 month warranty.
4: Deep cycle models, when used in series string applications without battery management system or CV/CC charge method have 1 month warranty.
5: Red Top Optima batteries in commercial applications have 12 month free replacement + 36 months pro-rated warranty.

Last edited:

Seth

These go to 11
I had a red top until about three years ago. I switched to a stinger I got from ryan. It is tiny and takes the trickle charger very well. I haven't ad an issue since.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd love to see some facts behind the 50%/80% failure rate... seeing as I have put in service a couple dozen Optimas, and I've only experience one failure, it was in my Cruiser after 6 years. I put a new one in it and put the old one on the bench. I then read a thread here on RME about charging Optimas in parrallel with another battery, I tried it and low and behold the discharged Optima came right back to life, its now living under the hood of my FJ62 (I had stolen the Optima from the FJ62 to put in a customers rig). DesertDino sold tons of these batteries at his shop, I'd be interested to see how many he saw back. When I was working retail auto-parts we saw a couple come back, but nowhere near the amount (per capita) that we saw come back of regular Duralast batteries.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I then read a thread here on RME about charging Optimas in parrallel with another battery, I tried it and low and behold the discharged Optima came right back to life

there's a dead redtop here in the shop i work at. what exactly is the secret to charging it? just simply running parrallel with another battery?

-Jason

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
parallel with another optima.

I've run both otima and exide orbital. I've had probably 4 red tops, 1 failure (replaced under warranty just fine). I also ran 2 Orbital extreme cycle duty batteries in my Dodge and was VERY impressed with them. They would run my pissed off stereo for hours and then start the CTD up no problem. I did run them dead once, but it took quite a bit of loud music over a long night to do it.