Because Roadkill, -or- I bought an old ugly domestic car

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Gudentight, I'm guessing, is the torque spec...

Precisely. :)

Educate me a little here. This was/is a vortec fuel injected motor. I know you went to a carburetor and now back but I'm assuming this system is more tunable/better performance than the factory fuel injection.

Yes, it was multi-point injected. However, I decided to abandon that configuration for multiple reasons, including:

1) the stock intake manifold doesn't exactly emphasize top-end power
2) there aren't many (any?) aftermarket EFI intakes to improve the situation
3) even if there were, I didn't want tuning issues with my upgraded cam and other hardware
4) I knew I'd be using a carb initially, so I wanted to incorporate that style of intake from the get-go as well as long-term
5) the Performer RPM AirGap is hard to beat for low-end and top-end combined, particularly in my engine's RPM range

Now that the FiTech install is nearing completion, I admit I really like its clean, uncluttered look.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
After getting it running, I did need to go through my new fuel line and repair a few small leaks. Every NPT connection needed to be opened and mended with gas-spec teflon tape. But now everything seems to be properly sealed up. I even drove the car to work today.

You didn't even rev it.

I did, just a little, but because the camera was near the engine at the time you could barely hear it over the giant sucking sound of the throttle body. I'll have to upload a better video for you, Nate. If I can find a good solid mount for a cell phone, maybe I can try getting an action video on a freeway onramp or something.

Speaking of, it still spins the rear tires on the 1-2 shift like it did with the carburetor... but it now can also break them loose on the 2-3 upshift if conditions are right. If I didn't know better, I'd say this car actively tries to kill me while I drive it... and I love it for that.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So uh, does the FI work or not on this pig? Didn't realize it's been THREE YEARS since you've posted to this thread

Oh, hey. Sure, it works. There is a stumble when I go from closed throttle to sudden throttle tip-in that I haven't solved (because, frankly, I've never researched to learn how). But in all other aspects, it works perfectly. Even with my tip-in issue, it has far fewer "quirks" than the carburetor ever did. I'm happy with it.

For those considering a similar TBI-style EFI conversion--of any brand--I will tell you this: your success will be entirely determined by two things: properly installing the (few) wires required, and building a proper fuel system. For the latter, I merely imitated the OEM factory setup and installed an in-tank high pressure pump, and this winning strategy has worked flawlessly. As for the wiring, I made sure to follow the directions and use appropriate connections for every wire (especially the one that must be hot during key on and cranking).

Why do I mention this? Because Mike put the same system on his El Camino and kept having problems with starting his car. On a hunch, I told him to look at the wire mentioned above, but he shrugged off this suggestion because he felt his wiring was not to blame. He finally got so frustrated that he removed the FiTech and dropped back to a carb. I took his system home, removed my TBI unit itself but not my wiring harness, installed his TBI unit onto my intake manifold, and plugged it in to my wiring. It started right up and worked perfectly for months. Later, I swapped mine back on my car and gave his back to him.

Proper wiring is crucial.

xjtony

I just finished a Holley sniper on a 351w. I was going to do the Fitech but they were backordered for my application. Like you said it's fairly simple to install but you have to take your time and follow all the instructions for install. It's been fun watching it learn as it's driven

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The final chapter of my Grand Prix ownership is about to be written. I am preparing to sell this vehicle to make room for another car I've just agreed to purchase. Because you all read along throughout the car's transformation, I felt like I should also let you guys know that I'm about to send it down the road. I have begun compiling a list of all the upgraded hardware in preparation for posting a 'for sale' ad.

Anybody wanna keep the car in the family and buy a built big block G-body? ;) If so, PM me.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm excited to see what's next.

What's the next car? :)

You guys remember my friend Ryan's Olds Custom Cruiser? The one where we built and installed an identical big block 454 engine?

4HavFR8.jpg

He suddenly needs to unload it, and I decided I wanted it too badly to pass it up... so I'm buying it.