Because Roadkill, -or- I bought an old ugly domestic car

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Where is this project at these days? Any updates?

Oh, hey. I haven't been updating this thread because there didn't seem to be very many people interested in this project.

There was a post on Facebook about the old engine/trans getting yanked out last week.

Correct. The new engine is mostly assembled and is sitting on an engine stand awaiting installation:

h24zehG.jpg

About nine days ago (on a Friday afternoon/evening), the stock engine and trans were removed in my own garage:

QDbmAFi.jpg

With the engine out, I was able to de-Gunk the crossmember and nearby areas of the engine bay:

uzZuUI5.jpg

Right now I am working on removing the V6 motor mounts off the crossmember and installing the V8 mounts in their place. (This is not remotely as easy as it sounds.) Once that is finally accomplished, I want to drop the 454/4L80E into place as soon as possible... though I don't yet know exactly when or even where that operation will happen. After that, I can begin working on all the finishing touches--building a cooling system, engineering a bracket layout for the accessories, fabbing a driveshaft, etc.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Oh, hey. I haven't been updating this thread because there didn't seem to be very many people interested in this project.

As one of the interested parties who don't necessarily post up about it, I disagree with the above comment. :)

D

Deleted member 12904

I personally think this is an awesome project and really got cool once the big block cane into play.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What are you going to do as far as controlling the 4l80?

TCI EZ-TCU standalone controller.

Way back when I first began planning this whole ordeal, my initial idea was to install a Holley Terminator self-learning EFI when I install the engine in the car. I wanted that EFI system rather than another brand simply because it could also control the 4L80E (if I spent enough money). Since then, I have changed my mind. I now want to use the TCI controller since it will operate independently from any and all engine control system, plus I've decided I will break in the engine--and begin driving the car--with a (borrowed) carburetor rather than EFI. I want to break down this entire project into smaller, more manageable operations; I don't want to be troubleshooting any possible EFI gremlins on a totally green engine that wants to be broken in right away.

To that end, I did already purchase a FiTech EFI system. It is sitting in its box, awaiting its eventual installation.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Yesterday was my weekly day off work. Due to the Mary Ellen Gulch run, I didn't have much time to spend working on the car. But what did happen was a visit from brown Santa, who dropped off a huge, heavy box at my house.

One of the nice things about ordering from Summit Racing is they always box your item in one of their own boxes. This adds some mystery as to what might be inside the package. But when an item is shipped directly from the manufacturer, well, that doesn't happen... and now it might be a bit easier for onlookers to deduce what is sitting on your front porch.

Gee, I wonder what this could be:

oehKbUu.jpg

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have a buyer for the engine/trans if you still have it.

Too late--it got scrapped. :(

In other news...

Friday afternoon, I took a trip through the shop at my work to ask if any of the techs might have long flex-head wrenches. It didn't take long before I found someone who had an entire set. He graciously allowed me to take one home for the weekend. Since I'm dealing with 15mm nuts, that's the one he lent me. Here is a photo to compare it to my usual Craftsman 15mm combination wrench:

BzdiN0y.jpg

Were I to go out and purchase this single Cornwell wrench, I have no idea how much it would cost. $40? $50? Whatever the amount, I can make the following statement with complete certainty: it is worth every last penny. This was the magic tool I needed to complete the pain-in-the-butt process of swapping motor mounts. In just a few minutes, I was able to remove the final bolt from the last mount. With the V6 mounts finally removed from the cross member, I did some quick spot cleaning of these areas which I couldn't access during my earlier Gunk adventure. With everything wiped off, it was easy to see where my paint had not been able to reach.

9Zu3QBa.jpg

Of course, painting these two areas was quick and easy. After allowing the paint to dry, I decided I ought to go ahead and install the V8 mounts before returning my friend's wrench. Needless to say, this took far less time than I had spent trying to remove the old ones. Once the job was done, I stepped back to admire my handiwork. I was so happy, I could have cried.

R9fRlWN.jpg

Now I can finally begin planning when the drop the 454 into place. :)

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wohooo! Doing all that degreasing, cleaning and painting makes you feel so much better about dropping a clean, shiny engine in!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just went through the whole thread and updated all the IMG tags so they work now.

Hmm, what don't you like? I'm sure you'd build this car differently than me; I'm just asking out of curiosity.

I'd work like hell to put a 455 Indian in that beast but know EXACTLY why you chose the 454 truck motor and would likely do the same as you with what you've run across. My 16 year old has been talking a 455 Olds in a G-Body Cutlass of late. :D

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The velvet interior in that Cut makes me want to take a shower just from looking at it. Is that the same interior your car has Dempsey?