Bed cage Idea

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
I'm not ready to go all out with a cage yet but I had an Idea that I want to run by more heads than my own..... a bed cage, which could be the start of something more but I really just want to have something that I can throw a canvas tarp over (like a can-back) for camping but have structural stability just incase I flop. also I was wondering about connecting a 4 point harnass to the bed cage through the rear cab wall. the lap belt would be in the stock lap belt bolt holes. I read that 4 points should not be mounted straight down behind the seat but at least 45* off the shoulder.....well in a reg cab thats kinda not possible. So I thought about connecting the belts right behind the shoulders to the cab wall bolted to 1/4 - 3/8" steel plate that sandwiches the cab wall. and then have a chain (heavy duty) welded to the outside plate and then to the tube running across the front of the bed. (this for redundancy) I thought about doing a solid tube welded from one to the other but then I thought about bed/cab flex and hence the chain idea. I could mount my HI lift to the side diagonal brace on the bed too.... my ideas for this are endless but these are just a few. what do ya think.

Last edited:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I'm no cage guru but you might want to make another cross member on your side view so it makes an X. Also for the harness, I believe someone makes a harness that you can connect the shoulder straps to the floor, think I saw it in hotrod magazine. If you can't find those I'd say put some tube in behind the seat and then have that connect to the frame.

K85k03

Iam not positive but I've heard that if you attach the seat belt to a rollbar or cage that attaches to the frame then when you have body flex it will pinch the driver or rider in the seat belt? just a thought I know I wouldn't want to get pinched by my seatbelt.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't think it is a good idea. Your cab and bed are mounted seperately. They will flex different ways at different times. In a hard roll, say your bed gets ripped off and your cab doesn't. Can you say noose?