beef up a bronco (motor-wise)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
You got negative nobody else. I have a lot of time towing with the 150 shortbed it was too short. The Bronco is shorter and while possible you need to drive slow and be very carfull. The problem is that in certain conditions (some beyond your control) the trailer can push the tow rig around it is not a very goog feeling and my britney spanial was not driving at the time it happened to me. I used to see a lot of really big boats towed by Broncos( now they all have expeditions) but I always knew they had more money than brains.

Caleb

Originally posted by bobdog
You got negative nobody else. I have a lot of time towing with the 150 shortbed it was too short. The Bronco is shorter and while possible you need to drive slow and be very carfull. The problem is that in certain conditions (some beyond your control) the trailer can push the tow rig around it is not a very goog feeling and my britney spanial was not driving at the time it happened to me. I used to see a lot of really big boats towed by Broncos( now they all have expeditions) but I always knew they had more money than brains.

exactly, couldn;t have said it better myself...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
oh yeah i definitely wouln't tow with the bronco without trailer brakes. i don't want to jackknife.

P

pokeyYJ

Well, if you are intent on using this rig, some of the things that you could do to increase power, are the same that you would do on any rig.

Chip it
Exhaust
Headers
Camshaft
Intake
Bigger fuel injectors
Supercharge it
Bigger plug wires
Jacob's or Mallory or MSD ignition
A Be Cool aluminum raditator wouldn't hurt
Bore and Stroke it
Put better heads on it

There is A TON of aftermarket stuff for the 5.0 Ford, just look at the EFI drags, those guys get like 700hp out a stock block!:D

P

pokeyYJ

P.S. I don't think anyone was trying to be negative, they were just trying to point out some of the downside's of using a Bronco to tow.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
P.S. I don't think anyone was trying to be negative, they were just trying to point out some of the downside's of using a Bronco to tow.

Yep! Negativity is frowned on here.... :D

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Bronco's are cool and if you know what you're doing, should work great for you. The 302 is a sweet motor. I'd look into a 351W if you're really serious. Basically if you want to spend some money on a motor you can build a 302 or for the same cost swap in a 351W and get the same amount of power. Then when more money is available you could build the 351 and be way ahead. Or you could do like me and just build one bad 302. And there is nothing wrong with the TTB front suspension and only 3 inches of lift, unless you're after a little flex.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by bobdog
...I don't know about totally poser. I have an 81 F150 ...

I agree, one of my best freinds (and wheelin buddy) had a 95' F150 in high. He installed a 6" lift along with 2" body that was already on it... he ran 36" so he had tons of room to travel...I tell you to this day we took that truck alot of cool places... above that you could put a 4wheeler in the pack, all the camping gear and coolers you could need and still tow a small trailer with no ill road effects.

I look at it the same way with trucks like Tacoma, sure they arn't the best offroad vehicle out of the box, but add a moderate lift, some bumpers and sliders and you have yourself a great camping rig, capable of anything "legal" up canyons like AF and trails like Rattlesnake.

:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Its funny how different people aspects are on tow rigs....

I have towed with diesels many times, but until I had I thought my brothers 5.9 auto Dodge Ram 1500 towed awesome, now it feels like a slug and eats all the fuel....

A freind of mine still tows his Jeep on a flatbed, behind a Dodge Ram 1500 with the 318 and 5 speed, I always ask..."did that suck or what" after a long trip... He thinks it pulls fine... Another cruiser buddy of mine towes an FJ55 home on flatbed using a borrowed FS Blazer, just your stadard 90's with 350 and auto... He thought it towed great.

Just alot of different perspectives I notice as I read through posts... :D

Caleb

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Its funny how different people aspects are on tow rigs....

I have towed with diesels many times, but until I had I thought my brothers 5.9 auto Dodge Ram 1500 towed awesome, now it feels like a slug and eats all the fuel....

A freind of mine still tows his Jeep on a flatbed, behind a Dodge Ram 1500 with the 318 and 5 speed, I always ask..."did that suck or what" after a long trip... He thinks it pulls fine... Another cruiser buddy of mine towes an FJ55 home on flatbed using a borrowed FS Blazer, just your stadard 90's with 350 and auto... He thought it towed great.

Just alot of different perspectives I notice as I read through posts... :D

well I towed a few things with my 01 Cherokee...like two fourwheelers, a small trailer with a couple axles...just small stuff and it towed ok, but I couldn't go much faster than 55-60 with the wheelers or it would get squirley, and if I went 75 (the speed limit) with the small trailer and axles I would guzzle the gas (this was to and from Reno)...this last weekend I towed four fourwheelers with my new PS and I could go as fast as I needed without any concern...and I still got pretty good gas mileage (about 14-15....I will find out tomorrow when I fill up)...

you are right, until you tow with a 3/4T or 1T you really dont understand what it means to tow with comfort...and no more butt pucker moments...here is my setup from this weekend...this is a HEAVY 22 ft trailer (about 2800 lbs.)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i towed the samurai on a tow bar with the bronco out to lil moab last weekend. i thought it was great for the most part. i cruised about 55-65 most of the time, there was one time i got a little scared though. you know how the road has all those curves in it and rollers well... i hit couple rollers combined with a few turns at 70 and then i looked in the rear view and saw the sami kinda swaying from side to side! lets just say i got a bit scared. but, this was my first time towing pretty much anything, and i am glad i got scared because now i will not try to push the limits. you know what i mean?
my dad and i were talking about broncos just the other day. they have little or no resale value, meaning two things (1) i could pick one up for cheap (2) if i wanted to sell it i would have to bend over. i think i will get my dads or just buy another one down the road. i would like to have a vehicle that i can tow with, that has a removable top, that has a short bed if you fold the seat forward, that has a sweet v8 with tons of mods cheap and available, that gets decent gas mileage, and doesn't drive like crap. i think that is a good way to describe the bronco. i also think that it will suffice my needs for towing, for now. trust me i would love to have a 1 ton diesel, especially the way things are going with diesels lately... technology kicks ass! but i will wait until i have two jeeps to tow, my xj (which i will give to my future wife or son) and my sweet comp rig (not yet built, expected in 2019) haha.

-nate

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
i cruised about 55-65 most of the time, there was one time i got a little scared though

Yikes! You're not helping your cause much! A tandem axle trailer will help, but you'd better be looking into sway bars. Once the death sway starts sometimes it's hard to pull out of it. Here's my tow rig. F350 Super Camper Special. Has an extended wheel base over a normal long bed and a seriously built 460. Does double duty pulling a 35' fifth wheel.

Attachments

• moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 12