BEEFn it Up

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
I need to beef up my front HYDRO-RAM mount.

It mounted to the axle on a 1.5" ERW halo looking thing.. I was scraming to get this done before Moab and rushed it. Wheeled it a couple of times and nows its dinging up pretty good. Now im know what i should have done.

Should of used 1.5" DOM sleaved with another DOM tube or at least just used a thicker wall tube.

Question is what size should/would i have sleaved the 1.5" tube with ?
1-3/4" .120 wall ?? Or should i go thicker walled ?

Its mounted on there good right now and dont want to take it off to redo it. But im thinking if i get ~1-3/4 Tube and take it to a band saw, cut it down the middle. Then weld the new piece to the front of the halo. That should be some good clean protection.

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
halo-looking.

IMG_0066.JPG

Bottom piece is the one that im banging up. As you can see it hangs pretty low.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
looking at the second pic. it appears to be two hoops. what about adding some tubing braces from the axle tube to the first hoop and then plating the second hoop.

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
i Have only dented the lower hoop. The lower hoop does have support in the middle connecting the axle tube and the main mount. I haven't bent the thing up yet, just dented. Enough dents and good enough hit will cause that thing to bend. So i wanted to prevent it from getting dinged up. Where its dented up right now is in front of the diff cover and i dont want to block the diff cover up. So thats why i was thinking of a half sleave. I also thought about using some angle-iron, but i think that might be to cheesy looking.

But maybe I can angle in a support without blocking the diff cover. But its a fit.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
RamToy said:
i Have only dented the lower hoop. The lower hoop does have support in the middle connecting the axle tube and the main mount. I haven't bent the thing up yet, just dented. Enough dents and good enough hit will cause that thing to bend. So i wanted to prevent it from getting dinged up. Where its dented up right now is in front of the diff cover and i dont want to block the diff cover up. So thats why i was thinking of a half sleave. I also thought about using some angle-iron, but i think that might be to cheesy looking.

But maybe I can angle in a support without blocking the diff cover. But its a fit.

yeah, the half sleeve should work fine. I would do that before the angle iron thing ;)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Now that your questions have been answered, let's see some more pics from different angles. :) Looks pretty good so far. You happy with how it worked out?

ROCKRUNNER

If you plated it on the bottem with 1/4" and several tabs so you can remove your plate to access the diff. That should give you enough support and even protect diff more also if you ran more tubes from the axle to the lower hoop that would help emensly. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think you know what i am thinking!!!

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
Dont have many pics. But its another angle.

IMG_0082.JPG

I am pleased with how it turned out. I was a little skeptical that the toy pump wouldnt be enough for the ram and thought i might have to modify the toy pump. But it turns great with no mods to the pump. No complaints. I have orderd a new/bigger resevoir, mostly because mine leaks at extreme angles. But all and all im happy. Thanks to the boys at RL4x4. ;)

1/4" Plate :eek: That would def. Beef it up.

Thats a little more weight than i want to add to that thing. Im thinking the half sleeve is gonna work best and look that cleanest. Question is. How thick should i go ? .120 +