Been to Rachel lately? Any gas?

DAA

Last time I rolled through Rachel four or five years ago the only gas station had been closed a long time (and that was sort of a problem...). Interweb says it's open, but there isn't a date associated with the happy news.

I'm going to call tomorrow and find out. But if anyone has been lately and knows, maybe I can firm up my rough route plan a bit.

Mostly aimless wandering is the idea. But the reality of fuel range is going to be a factor. If I have to go to Ash Springs or Tonapah just for gas, it's going to force some purposeful aiming to my itinerary. I'd prefer to remain flexible and wander around at will, if I can get gas in Rachel, it will help!

- DAA

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Since I'm currently "working" and have some time, I decided to call the "Little A'Le'Inn" (first Rachel phone number I found). A nice fellow answered and said they (the inn) are still open for business, and that the local gas station is also open for business. Interestingly though, he said they (gas station) are "sellin' it even though they don't have permits to sell it"...?!? When I asked him for a little more detail on what that meant, he kindly said he didn't know any more because he doesn't associate with them. Quite odd really.

But, it sounds like they do still sell gas (bootleg?:thinking::rofl:) but don't sell diesel. And, they accept both cash and card. I didn't ask about hours or pay-at-the-pump capabilities.

All hearsay obviously, but maybe this helps with preliminary plans... Regardless, it kept me busy for a few minutes.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since I'm currently "working" and have some time, I decided to call the "Little A'Le'Inn" (first Rachel phone number I found). A nice fellow answered and said they (the inn) are still open for business, and that the local gas station is also open for business. Interestingly though, he said they (gas station) are "sellin' it even though they don't have permits to sell it"...?!? When I asked him for a little more detail on what that meant, he kindly said he didn't know any more because he doesn't associate with them. Quite odd really.

But, it sounds like they do still sell gas (bootleg?:thinking::rofl:) but don't sell diesel. And, they accept both cash and card. I didn't ask about hours or pay-at-the-pump capabilities.

All hearsay obviously, but maybe this helps with preliminary plans... Regardless, it kept me busy for a few minutes.
Will a 4.0 run on moonshine? 😂

DAA

So, on a Friday, about noonish, any kind of gas you want as long as it's 87 octane unleaded. Kind of expensive, but, not outrageous. No pay at pump, kid running it greeted us at the pump and let us know we needed to pay inside. Very friendly, actually, he recognized me and my LJ from the interwebs and was extra friendly - he's a coyote hunter. Blood all over the spare got him talking, good local intel. Older tourist couple in econo shit box with California plates looked absolutely horrified at the specter of me and my bloody Jeep - I mean, they got in their crappy little car and I'd almost swear they locked the doors and were crossing themselves. Meanwhile I gassed up and chatted with the attendent. It was awesome. Productive stop!

- DAA