Behind the Reef Road

hedonist

Supporting Member
Has anyone been on Behind the Reef Road outside of Goblin in the recent past? I know the roads used to go all the way down to the river, but washed out at the Chute Canyon Trail head. Many years ago I could still get around it but didn't want to go it alone. Is it legal to do so if you can get your rig through there? Any info would be great! Thanks!

RTR

I was over there in September of last year, on a dirt bike... and I'm not sure what river to which the trail goes "all the way down," as you say. But you wouldn't want to take a full-sized rig through there. There's a few places where the trail chokes down to the width of a four-wheeler, not much wider. I can't speak to the legality of it, either. I'm pretty sure that all the maps that I've seen designate it as an ATV trail... not sure if that means you're breaking the rules by taking a truck or jeep down there, but you'd be sorry if you did.

Beautiful trail, by the way. We followed it all the way to the Hidden Splendor mine...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The trail has seen some work with a trail cat in the last year. Only the first half of the trail is open to full size and the remainder is 50" or less. The full size route ends between Bell and Cistern Canyon. You can follow the drainage out onto the Horse Valley Road.

Last edited: