Belize, things to do or see?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Go to Coasta Rica.

Been a few times, gorgeous place but looking for new. I drove from the tip of South America back to Utah this past summer and I left a few countries untouched including Belize, Bolivia and Venezuela. My goal is to knock them all of the list in the next few, hopefully tackling Bolivia and Venezuela for the Dakar race one of these years.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Interesting... like Tijuana sketchy or hills have eyes sketchy?

Like Tijuana if it were further away from the somewhat civilizing influence of thousands of tourists. It's the only place I've ever been where I actually felt unsafe and retreated to the safety of the cruise boat tender area. Being boxed in and surrounded by about 40 12-40 year old local guys because I pulled 5 bucks out of my pocket wasn't something I had experienced before.

PolarXJ

HO-P
Belize is probably the trip that I have like/enjoyed the most. We stayed on at a place right on the beach on San Pedro. Everyone there uses golf carts to get around, there plenty of shops for the Mrs., ALOT of reef diving, plus there a diving outfit that will go out to the blue hole which was awesome. We had a pair of sharks follow us all the way down the 130 plus feet depth and back up. We also did a snorkeling trip and swam with some manatees, stopped off at Caye Caulker for lunch. This is another place you could stay, its smaller than San Pedro. Another high light for me, was the Mayan ruins at Lamani. We had to take a boat a few miles up a river to get to it, saw a few caiman along the way. Its not over run by as many tourists like some of the other ruins get.

Last edited:

Cutrer4

I spent a week on San Pedro and loved every minute of it. Highly recommend it. We spent one night in Belize City and did the cave tubing before taking the ferry to San Pedro. We took the puddle jumper flight back to the main land at the end of the week. It was fun to experience both transportation modes.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We are heading to Belize and a few other places for a cruise in the future, and are working on some plans...
How do you gents handle all your personal items while on land and in water? We will need to keep some cash, cards, passports, and maybe some electronics with us and dry while tubing, kayaking, and general activities. What are best methods for this?
Back pack with water tight boxes? Double zip lock bags in pockets?
Buy a fanny pack?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We are heading to Belize and a few other places for a cruise in the future, and are working on some plans...
How do you gents handle all your personal items while on land and in water? We will need to keep some cash, cards, passports, and maybe some electronics with us and dry while tubing, kayaking, and general activities. What are best methods for this?
Back pack with water tight boxes? Double zip lock bags in pockets?
Buy a fanny pack?

I leave as much stuff as possible in the safe in my room. Take a credit card, ship ID, drivers license, passport and some cash and ziplock bag all the stuff. My phone is pretty worthless for the week I'm on a ship (which is a good thing) so I don't even bring it along.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I leave as much stuff as possible in the safe in my room. Take a credit card, ship ID, drivers license, passport and some cash and ziplock bag all the stuff. My phone is pretty worthless for the week I'm on a ship (which is a good thing) so I don't even bring it along.

This, plus I always carry it in my front pocket. Also, we never wear jewelry of any kind, or even a nice watch.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
We spent 9 days in Belize this summer. We never felt unsafe. We visited many different places and always felt very welcome. No one had anything stolen, we had zero problems with the people of Belize.

I know a lot of people have had issues, we must have hit it just right I guess. FWIW, we took 15 of my students from school, so I cant imagine a more target rich group of people :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I never updated after my trip... which wasn't even the trip I started planning in this thread. The Mrs. and I ended up going somewhere totally different for our vacation but I spent a week in Belize with the Expedition Overland crew last year. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We spent time on Caye Caulker, did some relaxing, scuba diving and wandering around the island. We also visited 1000' Falls and camped in that area. We drove in/out with vehicles so our security was different but as a golden rule I never went anywhere without my passport and wallet. I've got a neck holder that I can put them both in (it's awkward and bulky but safe) or I'd keep them in pockets. It's tough when you scuba diving as you are leaving all of your goods on the deck of the boat with some random worker but I hide it in my clothes and cross my fingers it's there when you get back :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I never updated after my trip... which wasn't even the trip I started planning in this thread. The Mrs. and I ended up going somewhere totally different for our vacation but I spent a week in Belize with the Expedition Overland crew last year. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We spent time on Caye Caulker, did some relaxing, scuba diving and wandering around the island. We also visited 1000' Falls and camped in that area. We drove in/out with vehicles so our security was different but as a golden rule I never went anywhere without my passport and wallet. I've got a neck holder that I can put them both in (it's awkward and bulky but safe) or I'd keep them in pockets. It's tough when you scuba diving as you are leaving all of your goods on the deck of the boat with some random worker but I hide it in my clothes and cross my fingers it's there when you get back :D

I never leave my passport in a room or on a cruise ship. It stays with me always. I keep passport copies of all the parents and students I travel with in case one gets lost. The copy won't get you back in the country, but it does make getting a new one a little easier.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I never leave my passport in a room or on a cruise ship. It stays with me always. I keep passport copies of all the parents and students I travel with in case one gets lost. The copy won't get you back in the country, but it does make getting a new one a little easier.

Worthwhile idea there

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've always traveled with copies. Copies of my UT DL, my international DL, my health/vac report (some countries request it) and passport. We share those amongst the group and store them digitally, you can find a internet cafe about anywhere in the world these days. Of interesting note, you don't need a passport to get back in the US, it just expedites things :D They cannot refuse entry to a US citizen, they just have to prove you are one which can be done at the border albeit a cumbersome process. I had two friends leave their passports with our group in Australia, they were able to fly home albeit with a bunch of explaining. Best bet, don't lose it. If you're going to be doing much driving in a foreign country, get an international drivers license. They are available from a local AAA center (there is one in Draper) and are much wiser to offer to an officer than your actual drivers license or worse yet passport. Food for thought.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I've always traveled with copies. Copies of my UT DL, my international DL, my health/vac report (some countries request it) and passport. We share those amongst the group and store them digitally, you can find a internet cafe about anywhere in the world these days. Of interesting note, you don't need a passport to get back in the US, it just expedites things :D They cannot refuse entry to a US citizen, they just have to prove you are one which can be done at the border albeit a cumbersome process. I had two friends leave their passports with our group in Australia, they were able to fly home albeit with a bunch of explaining. Best bet, don't lose it. If you're going to be doing much driving in a foreign country, get an international drivers license. They are available from a local AAA center (there is one in Draper) and are much wiser to offer to an officer than your actual drivers license or worse yet passport. Food for thought.

International drivers license is a great idea. I have had police in Mexico hold onto my drivers license until I gave them a tip. If it was an international license I wouldn't be as worried about losing it.

mbryson

Supporting Member

For diving, do you leave it in a ziplock or something in your wetsuit?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
When I have been in a diving/scuba situation we were with enough people that someone watched the passport of those in the water.

Every hotel we checked into in Peru took our passports from us. That was a bit scary. We always got them back with no issue, but I didn't like it.