Jeep Bench Racing, building a "new" Willys CJ2a

Bart

I love this thread. I plan to build a relic Jeep in the future and this definitely would be a consideration. Subscribed.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
THe Mahindra Roxor was just announced. It will be aimed at the US UTV market. It will initially come with a 2.5 liter turbodiesel diesel and solid axles. It's roughly the same size as a bone stock 1976 CJ7 and weighs just over 3k lbs.

Base price is supposed to be about $15k.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you used one out of the '67-'72 with the dauntless they have a much bigger main shaft (1 1/8" I think) very solid case.

Ohhh, good call!

If you really wanted to be creative you could use the 3.8 with the factory supercharger out of a Bonneville or a Grand Prix GT.

Yeah, that would be an option... the intake would face the firewall, IIRC but you could make it work. I supercharged 3.8 in a Willys would SCOOT!

I love this thread. I plan to build a relic Jeep in the future and this definitely would be a consideration. Subscribed.

Glad to heal it's helpful, Bart! You should share how you'd build yours and what you'd want out of it. ;)

Hickey and I were talking about those, which is another thing that helped prompt this thread. They're neat, but... $15k. I'm pretty certain that for $15k (or less) I could build a 'new', original looking CJ2a with a modern drivetrain that will last a long longer than the Mahindra. The Mahindra seems like a India-build SxS that wouldn't be good for more than 40 MPH and not street legal. With a new Willys, you could plate it as a Kit Car and without OD it'll run 60 MPH or more, depending on gearing & tire size.

And being a Mahindra, how long will it last with real use and what it would be like to get parts.

I think they're interesting, but I don't think I'd spend that much money to own one.