Best 4x4 / daily driver! Opinions wanted

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
budget wise i'd go for a wagoneer. no budget, it would be a 4 door JK rubicon. but i've always been a fan a station wagons. :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The fact that you took issue with Kurt's "AKA Mr Cruiser dude" post the way you did. To enjoy a Toyota doesn't make one less patriotic for it.

Hate to say it, but if there's someone here who knows Toyota's history/lineage too well, it's going to be Kurt.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Mr.Cruiser dude can beleive whatever he wants and I wont be able to change that no matter what real facts I present.

Present all the facts you want, I'm more than happy to back up any claim I've made. They are all well established facts. I'm fully aware of the Jeep's contributions to the WWII war theater and in fact would love to own an era Bantam GP. But that is a 100% moot point. Patriotism doesn't live on the name badge stuck to the side of a vehicle. What about the thousands of American workers that assemble Tacomas here in the US using majority NAFTA origin parts? What about the thousands of American troops rolling around the middle east in Toyotas, purchase by the mighty tax payer?

As I said in my post, I think a Jeep could be a great budget wheeler/dd for this gentleman. But to imply one ought to consider a modern Jeep based on the heritage that took place 60 years and 10 owners ago is a little stretched imo.

Last edited:

TheJeepGuy

The fact that you took issue with Kurt's "AKA Mr Cruiser dude" post the way you did. To enjoy a Toyota doesn't make one less patriotic for it.

Hate to say it, but if there's someone here who knows Toyota's history/lineage too well, it's going to be Kurt.

I didn’t say enjoying a Toyota was less patriotic and I didn’t say anything about Toyota history. I was talking about Jeep history.
I took an issue with incorrect statements of Jeep history and clearly stated I had no problem with Toyota or people who drive them, I stated “What gets me is arrogant people thinking that Toyota is the cats meow!” and above all others!

I am sure Kurt knows far more about toyota history than I do and I am sure I know far more Jeep history than he does.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I took an issue with incorrect statements of Jeep history...

Which statement was incorrect?

...I am sure Kurt knows far more about toyota history than I do and I am sure I know far more Jeep history than he does.

Very well could be and in that case please share, I know I'd love to hear it. I did a short research paper on the early years (pre-1980) Jeep for a college business class and at that time knew the situation fairly well. Though its been 5 years and many of the details are foggy, enlighten us.

Lka1988

poor college student
IMO, the best DD/weekend warrior would be any 1980's-90's Toyota truck. Hilux, Taco, Runner, Cruiser, what have you. Obviously my opinion is biased, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Gonna ignore the chat above...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
As a long time FSJ fanatic and new FJ40 owner, I have to say that the engineering is way cooler on the Toyotas-- the hinged grille, the way you can remove the flywheel w/ the bellhousing stll mounted, the hand crank!!, the correct use of washers on ALL the bolts, etc etc. , They're solid vehicles.

As to the history, admit its a draw and move on.

As to the question, I like GM fullsize stuff for MY uses-- they are cheap, the interchange is good, but the mileage sucks. :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Lifted Subaru :)

x2

lifted.jpg

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
This is the first I've read this thread, because I knew where it would head.

I was right, it went from dumb to totally stupid.

The best rig is the one that will never break, gets 40 MPG. and cost you $2500 brand new. Let me know when you find it....... :eek:

Yota

95.5-04 Tacoma TRD or 4runner. Powerful and very reliable engines (v6 or 4cyl), optional factory electric locker, very reliable, very capable, great fuel mileage, huge aftermarket support, etc... etc...

Best bang for your buck imo. If I could pick one vehicle to do it all it would be one of these.

X2 or if money allowed, a FJ cruiser.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
To me it depends on a lot of factors. There is no singular best Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior vehicle for everyone.

Things that need to be considered

Budget
type of wheelin you would like to do
amount of pasenger space/cargo space needed
availability of parts (domestically and potentially internationally if overland is your thing)
fuel efficiency
reliability
etc etc etc etc

I like the Tacoma's for long distance expedition type wheelin and for a good DD.

I like the grand cherokee's for a little more difficult wheelin while still remaining streetable....at least that's what I tell myself. There are other vehicles that are similar and have advantages and disadvantages when compared to the ZJ/WJ for a more rock-crawling centric DD/WW.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
< Centurion bronco.

We have lifted Subies in this thread, why not go the other extreme.

Drawbacks: 140" wb; mpg of the 7.5; whichever one you buy if a Centurion, is one of 4,000 made ever, if a Metroplotian, or one form an onscure Limo company, even rarer.
Pluses: Dana 60 front out of the box, most times they are to be found running 4.10 gearing. A small amount of money (SKY shackle flip kit) and 37's fit; (87-91 and 38's fit out of the box, seen pictures,a nd am doing it this weekend); Seats 7/8/9, depending on Config, or 4/5/6 and a Ginormous rear area for stuff/recovery/camping/Dogs/firewood, etc.; Can be found with a Powerstroke, and now you regained mpg.. and retained copious amounts of power.

Can be found for 7500 and less, there is one right now in Cali, lifted, regeared, tweaked tuned blah blah blah, for 10k.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Of if a 4dr Bronc is overkill, then I would recommend a 2 door next. Hard to beat a 5.0 and either the AOD/E40D, or the ZF 5 speed.

Quite capable, most will take 33's stock (92-96 might require bumper trim), if you locate an Eddie Bauer trim one, you have all the amenities of a Cruiser, okay MPG, and the room of a full size (interior room) Easy to SFA, or run the TTB, in fact if you like desert speed, the TTB is one of the reasons they are a dominating force in BAJA racing.

Nice 92-96's can be found in the 2500-5 grand range, and they are an exquisite ride.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
< Centurion bronco.

We have lifted Subies in this thread, why not go the other extreme.

Drawbacks: 140" wb; mpg of the 7.5; whichever one you buy if a Centurion, is one of 4,000 made ever, if a Metroplotian, or one form an onscure Limo company, even rarer.
Pluses: Dana 60 front out of the box, most times they are to be found running 4.10 gearing. A small amount of money (SKY shackle flip kit) and 37's fit; (87-91 and 38's fit out of the box, seen pictures,a nd am doing it this weekend); Seats 7/8/9, depending on Config, or 4/5/6 and a Ginormous rear area for stuff/recovery/camping/Dogs/firewood, etc.; Can be found with a Powerstroke, and now you regained mpg.. and retained copious amounts of power.

Can be found for 7500 and less, there is one right now in Cali, lifted, regeared, tweaked tuned blah blah blah, for 10k.

GM figured that one out YEEEAAARRRSS ago!:rofl: They call it a ....

:greg:SUBURBAN!:greg:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Whats the best 4x4/ daily driver for you and why. I have been a jeep fan since I was a little kid, but after I graduated from school I bought a sami do to cash at had. In just a short while I became a huge suzuki fan and have wheeled zuks for 4 years now. I just sold my last zuk and am looking at different 4x4 and wanted to know what other people liked, YJ, TJ, scout... Please be specific.

ATTN: v-stone

Your search is broad & vague. If all you were looking for was a brand loyalty poll, you got it!:-\

If you are REALLY looking for the "best rig for me" you'll have to set out some critieria as to what you need & want ...IS!!:ugh:

I'll be happy to give my opinion when you respond!:shawn: