best aftermarket u-joint/axle for dana 44

fordy4

I need some new axles and joints for my front dana 44. I keep popping the caps off, then the axles get buggered. I am looking at the warn shafts and the ox joints. Are the ox joints as good as the ctms? How about the superior shafts? How strong would I be as compared to a stock dana 60 if I upgraded the shafts and the joints? I have an ox locker and 4.56 gears and don't want to just throw them out yet.
Any opinions would help here.
Thanks

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
There is a Tacoma friend of mine running a front RS44 with Moser shafts, CTMs, and 5.13s and spinning 39" IROKs, and he said that he has yet to break the front, and he pounds his truck very hard through mud, over logs, and so on.

On a side note, how do you like the Ox Locker?

I'd like to run one in my RS44 when I finally get it in.

KToy

the moser shafts are way nice. but sorta pricey.

i heard that yukon shafts are a bit cheaper. and they are 4340 chromoly (quote from bobby long) PERSONALY i would buy bobby longs ujoint its way strong for the price.

and ctms are the strongerst joint to date that i know of.

but.... bobby long is making one out of 300m like ctm and its suppose to be stronger and it fits in stock shafts.

i run front arb 5:13 gears and 37 krawlers. and i keep busting ujoints. but never the axle shaft unless i break the ujoint first.

so i am buying bobby longs new joints (about 120 he said) and then running stock shafts. lifetime warranty on the joints as well.

then if i break the shaft i am buying yukon because there a bit cheaper than moser.

if i break those. d60 with bobbys joints and stock shafts fore me. unless i find a d60 cheap before hand.

here are some links that might help.

http://www.fourwheelsupply.net/front4340.html

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

Last edited:

fordy4

thanks, I was actually going to ask about the longfield joints. Are the new ones available yet? On the web site I just saw the ones for $80 for the dana 44... I guess I will call monday and find out.

The yukon 4030 chromolly joint looks pretty tough. Anyone tried these yet?

Has anyone had any problems with caps popping off of any of the joints with full circle retaining clips?

To answer the question, I like my ox locker alot. I have had it since they first came out and have had zero problems with it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm running the Yukon's and Bobby Long joints. I think the joints only have a 1 year warrenty, and they were 80/joint. Not bad compared to everything else. I've broken lots of joints and axles so hopefully they will help.

After all the research I've done, the conclusion on 'best' that I as able to glean is that the Superior stubs are the strongest and the superior and warn inners are about the same as far as strenght. The strongest joint is the CTM. Thats great, except the warns and superiors are almost 3x as much as the yukons.

PM 'Peak Empire' on the POR vendor's forum. He had the best prices and the best service I have found on Yukon stuff. He also can get the warns and ctms' too.

Cody

neagtea

Supporting Member
d44

After breaking a bunch of joints and shafts i tried a set of ox joints with warn outers and moser inners. Three days in montrose and the ox joints were junk and they wobbled out the moser inners. These were the old style moly moser shafts. The vender swapped out the ox joints for some ctm's and I bought warn inners that was three years ago. I had to replace two of the caps this year due to bushing wear. Warn or superior shafts are the way to go a little pricey but they have held up to a 401 spinning 38's
Just my .02

KToy

well. i dont have a problem breaking shafts just the joints.

i weld the caps to the axle shaft on some of my axle since the caps walk them selves out.

by the way bobby long said 4 weeks and he will have them on his website for sale.

supposily stronger than ctm, and lifetime warranty (thats what he said on the phone)

i dont break shafts yet. but im buying bobbys new joint and if i break shafts then im going yukon since they are cheap 4340 chromo shafts.

if i break those and the joints.

d60 for me.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Yah, welding the caps is a must. The one time I ran w/o welded caps or full circle clips the joints lasted 1 hour.

I've only broken 4 joints and 7 shafts this year so far--but, like you, the joint eggs out/obliterates the ears on the shafts which sucks balls.

Cody

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Anyone running the '760' joint with snap-rings instead of c-clips (you need to clearance the axleshaft a little with a grinder)? That helped my D30 out a little (with 35" tires).

fordy4

Cody said:
Yah, welding the caps is a must. The one time I ran w/o welded caps or full circle clips the joints lasted 1 hour.

Cody
Ok, I plan on welding the caps in my old spare shafts, but do you weld your caps on your yukon axles and bobby long joints? Doesn't that make it so you can't rebuild or replace the joint if you need to?

by the way, what's the POR venders forum, and how exactly do I pm peak empire? (sorry still a little new here)
Thanks

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I didn't weld my bobby long joints. We'll see if the fancy snap rings hold up. I was going to order the jantz/yukon joints but they are on backorder and still more expensive. It'll be interesting to see what bobby long's alloy joint looks like. Did they tell you there alloy joint would only be $60?

the POR (pirate4x4.com) vender forum is here...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

and more particularly, the thread you need to find Peak Empire is here....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275437

His name is Peak ZJ on the board. There is another vendor of Yukon stuff that claims to beat anyones prices, but with the price Peak ZJ gave me I only would have saved a dollar or two, and after how far out of his way he went to take care of my problem, It was deffinately worth it. Tell him Cody sent ya ;)

Cody