Best Axle Swaps

ewander

Just looking into the future a bit, and am thinking about the possibility of doing an axle swap for either a Wrangler or Cherokee.

What would be the best junk yard/doner axles to swap in, with the minimal about of shortening, etc....with strength being the primary goal?

Thanks,

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
well the canned response would be dana 60's front and rear. why do it wrong the first time when you can get it right the first time.

what i mean to say is what do you plan on doing with this vehicle....?? some of the best advice i have ever been given is design your vehicle around either a motor or tires. in your case motor is already there so what size tires do you want? if you want to have 31-35" tires and pavement pound, then leave those stockers alone, if you wanna compete then move on up!!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My axles are:

Front - D44 from 1982 wagoneer - 62.5" WMS to WMS, 6 on 5.5 pattern

Rear - D44 from 1974 J-4000, shortened from 66" WMS to WMS on longside to center. Now 63" WMS to WMS. Moser shafts, converted from 5 on 5.5 to 6 on 5.5 pattern

Both geared to 5.13. Rear is welded, front is locked.

I did the shortening myself using a homemade jig. Sent the original shafts to Moser, had them duplicate them with the exception of the long shaft - had them shorten it exactly 3" and had the pattern changed on both. I had my shafts back within 12 days with a total of $400 even (newshafts, bearings, plates, and shipping on both sets)

I then put the bracketry on them and slapped them under my XJ.

Keep an eye out for '80+ waggy, or an Early Bronco. Both are great donors.

Also, ford 8.8 might be a good option for you also.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
nevermind, I just saw that you are running an 8.8.

also - I picked up my front end for about $225 at a local yard. The housing was in excellent condition. I got the tie-rod and drag link with it also.

Easiest way is to take a small set of oxy/acet with you and just torch the rusty u-bolts and be done with it.

good luck with the hunt. Probably see you in Moab this weekend, we'll talk some more.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
If your building a Wrangler, try to find a D60 front out of a 78'-79' Ford F-350, I have heard that it will bolt right in the front of a Wrangler. As for the rear, pull the D60 out of the back of the 78'-79' Ford F-350, and put 14 bolt spindles and hubs on it, and 35 spline axles.But that might be a little expensive, but there's my 2 cents.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Andy
If your building a Wrangler, try to find a D60 front out of a 78'-79' Ford F-350, I have heard that it will bolt right in the front of a Wrangler. As for the rear, pull the D60 out of the back of the 78'-79' Ford F-350, and put 14 bolt spindles and hubs on it, and 35 spline axles.But that might be a little expensive, but there's my 2 cents.

That sounds good too, if you like the full-size axle weight and width. Personally, I'll stay between 62" and 63" wms, but I'm biased. :eek:

ewander

I think the 70's ford F350 sounds good to me. I have a doner 85 Grand Wagoneer, with the 44 front, but it is one of the funky years. I was thinking ultimate strength and low gearing. Possilby for a cherokee build up. I am also leaning towards the width of a full size. My wrangler is too narrow and too tall at this point. I need to pull the 1" body lift off. Do you guys know the width of the F30 axles? 65" or so?

Thanks!

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The older F350s are few and far between. If you can find one restore it don't part it out. You will have what I think is the second coolest pickup ever.