After wheeling the snot out of my front D44 on 38.5 and then 39.5, tires a front hub let go earlier this spring. Since the Warns provided such great service, I replaced them with a new set. However, the new units have both broken already. Anyone else having problems with Warn hubs?

What kind of hubs are are you big tire D44 guys running with success?

Anyone try Waggy drive flanges?

I've got to come up with something.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you can run a slug, that's going to be your strongest option for sure. Summit Machine has D44 slugs now, I believe.....

Otherwise, Warn Premiums, for the lifetime warranty when they break.

MRJ

Just a user
If you can run a slug, that's going to be your strongest option for sure. Summit Machine has D44 slugs now, I believe.....

Otherwise, Warn Premiums, for the lifetime warranty when they break.

Thanks Carl.

yes we offer a D44 Drive gear kit now. Shane has been trying to break it for a couple of months now with no success.

$199.99 for the kit. These have a lifetime warranty on the slugs also.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Warn Premiums is your best bet for a lock out hub.If they break drop it on a counter that carries them and get a new one for free.

Though your real problem is you have the wrong axle for the size tire you are running.If the hub is not the weak point you will just move further done the line to something more expensive like a ring and pinion.Get some Warn premiums and some fuses for them.The fuse rings are rather cheap and will break before anything else.

I take it you are either welded or spooled up front ?I hope your not running a Detroit Locker upfront while breaking hubs .The sudden release of torque to one side will whip out a Detroit locker.Ask me how I know.

Warn Premiums is your best bet for a lock out hub.If they break drop it on a counter that carries them and get a new one for free.

Though your real problem is you have the wrong axle for the size tire you are running.If the hub is not the weak point you will just move further done the line to something more expensive like a ring and pinion.Get some Warn premiums and some fuses for them.The fuse rings are rather cheap and will break before anything else.

I take it you are either welded or spooled up front ?I hope your not running a Detroit Locker upfront while breaking hubs .The sudden release of torque to one side will whip out a Detroit locker.Ask me how I know.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

What I failed to mention is that I've been wheeling with a D44 equiped with Premium Warns and those tires for six years without any problems. When I finally break a hub the replacement premium Warns went one right after the other. This indicates to me the new hubs are of less quality than the ones I bought 6 years ago. They may have a good warranty, but I'm not interested in regularly replacing them on the trail.

I agree my rig needs a D60 in the front with the size tires I'm running, but again its worked fine for the last 6 years until this problem. Nontheless, a 60 may be in the future. BTW, my front D44 is equiped with an ARB, Warn axles and CTMs. I like the fuse idea, but I'm thinking about going with the flanges mentioned above.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
When I ran warm premiums and stock shafts, I was breaking tons of shafts and joints and only a few hubs. I got really really tired of changing shafts, and tracking down spares, so I put in Superwinch hubs. I would go through a lot more hubs, but far fewer shafts--the fuse theory does work. The Superwinch have a lifetime warrenty and Car Quest in Moab is a dealer so it was pretty convenient. I carried slugs on the trail for spares, and I would much rather change a hub than a shaft.

That being said, Warn Premiums will be the strongest, and slugs will be even stronger but will cause ujoints to wear faster if you DD the rig at all. Also ,being able to disengage the hub is nice for when you do break shafts and don't happen to have a spare with you. This was applicable to me since I would go through 44 shafts faster than women and didn't always have spares for my spare spares.

MRJ

Just a user
You can run our covers with out the slug in place if need be. 4 bolts and a snap ring and you can swap it out fairly quick.

hoxviii

Ford-natic
Hell, just hit a wrecking yard and find a 73-79 ford or 73-87 GM with an NP203 or a wagoneer with a full time case and grab the drive flanges. Last set I got was $25 for the pair.

Justin

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks Carl.

yes we offer a D44 Drive gear kit now. Shane has been trying to break it for a couple of months now with no success.

$199.99 for the kit. These have a lifetime warranty on the slugs also.

I really recommend these... they things are awesome and really easy to remove & re-install.

I have write-up coming soon. :D

Thanks for the responses everyone.

What I failed to mention is that I've been wheeling with a D44 equiped with Premium Warns and those tires for six years without any problems. When I finally break a hub the replacement premium Warns went one right after the other. This indicates to me the new hubs are of less quality than the ones I bought 6 years ago. They may have a good warranty, but I'm not interested in regularly replacing them on the trail.

I agree my rig needs a D60 in the front with the size tires I'm running, but again its worked fine for the last 6 years until this problem. Nontheless, a 60 may be in the future. BTW, my front D44 is equiped with an ARB, Warn axles and CTMs. I like the fuse idea, but I'm thinking about going with the flanges mentioned above.

I had the exact same problem with the Warn Premiums. I was breaking them into pieces after every trail it seemed like.

I honestly don't think I could ever break the Summit Machine drive flanges that I have put in, they are BEEF for a d44 part. :)