Best ISP

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
So I'm finally fed up enough with Comcast to kick 'em to the curb. I am not so interested in keeping home phone service or cable TV, so I'd like to know your opinions on a good (and cheap) ISP.

Begin.:)

Corban_White

I have said it before and others have disagreed with me-but I have been happy with Digis for the past 3.5 years. They charge me 30 a month and it always works. They recently removed the monthly download limit too. We are using it at my office and my father recently switched as well. We have all been nothing but satisfied.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I filled out the form to find out if they serve my area... is this who you use? How much is it?

I wish. Not in my area. They are the name behind the framework... other companies supply the actual customer service.

Everybody that I've talked to that has it seems to love it. You really can beat fiber directly into your house. :D

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Anybody have thoughts about Xmission? Apparently my area only has 1.5mbps service availability for $42 per month from them...

I'm waiting for a phone call from Digis, but I'm thinking they might be the way to go.

Also, as far as I can tell, Utopia is not available to me yet.

Mr.Chevy

Xmission is a really good company. The company I worked for had them with utopia and we didnt have one problem with them or the service. We had a 50MB up and down connection and it was just sick.

We here at my house just singed up for Digis and it is $40 for a 5mb down and 2mb up witch isn't bad. The only down side is the $99 for the install but the 1st month is only $10

EROK81?

Sell out
Anybody have thoughts about Xmission? Apparently my area only has 1.5mbps service availability for $42 per month from them...

I'm waiting for a phone call from Digis, but I'm thinking they might be the way to go.

Also, as far as I can tell, Utopia is not available to me yet.

Why would you stop using comcast for that deal?

First, why do you hate comcast?

Next, have you tried talking to them? I cancelled my cable and they lowered my internet to 19.99 for six months and its hte 5mbps. Once I get to the six months, I'll go back and tell them I'll cancel and get the 19.99 again. You can't beat that price anywhere.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
We here at my house just singed up for Digis and it is $40 for a 5mb down and 2mb up witch isn't bad. The only down side is the $99 for the install but the 1st month is only $10

We will be having this same service on wednesday... same price as well... $114 for the install and the first month then $37 (I think) after that...

Caleb

Next, have you tried talking to them? I cancelled my cable and they lowered my internet to 19.99 for six months and its hte 5mbps. Once I get to the six months, I'll go back and tell them I'll cancel and get the 19.99 again. You can't beat that price anywhere.
Comcast is the worst company ever. I have used many different ISPs and refused to use Comcast ever again. Well, after many years I decided to give them another try...I fully remember why I hate them so bad. I've only had them for about three months and I am ready to drop them again. :rolleyes: It's pretty sad that the day they installed my service (phone, internet, and tv) I was getting solicitors calling my new number (I never knew my number prior to this day) asking for me by name. There is only one way the solicitors could have gotten my info and that's if Comcast sold it or gave it away (I'm guessing sold it). I called them on it and they said that the solicitors already have all the lists of numbers, which is BS, and even if they did already have the list of numbers, how in the hell would they know that I was going to have that number...there's only one way. Then two days ago, I'm on-call for work and I get paged at 4:00 in the morning, go to VPN in to work and what do you know, no service. No internet, phone, tv...nothing. I ended up tethering off my iphone. Called them and they confirmed my service was out but could care less and wouldn't give me any further info (no ETA of when it would be back, etc). I've had more downtime with Comcast in the last three months then I have had with any other ISP ever...combined :mad2:

Utopia doesn't even have plans for West Jordan so don't hold your breath for them. West Jordan opted out of Utopia. There have been several guys that have gathered petitions and presented them to the City Counsel but the City Counsel thinks there are plenty of options for internet already :rolleyes:

All ISPs are ridiculous, but Comcast just tops them all.

Mr.Chevy

Comcast is the worst company ever. I have used many different ISPs and refused to use Comcast ever again. Well, after many years I decided to give them another try...I fully remember why I hate them so bad. I've only had them for about three months and I am ready to drop them again. :rolleyes: It's pretty sad that the day they installed my service (phone, internet, and tv) I was getting solicitors calling my new number (I never knew my number prior to this day) asking for me by name. There is only one way the solicitors could have gotten my info and that's if Comcast sold it or gave it away (I'm guessing sold it). I called them on it and they said that the solicitors already have all the lists of numbers, which is BS, and even if they did already have the list of numbers, how in the hell would they know that I was going to have that number...there's only one way. Then two days ago, I'm on-call for work and I get paged at 4:00 in the morning, go to VPN in to work and what do you know, no service. No internet, phone, tv...nothing. I ended up tethering off my iphone. Called them and they confirmed my service was out but could care less and wouldn't give me any further info (no ETA of when it would be back, etc). I've had more downtime with Comcast in the last three months then I have had with any other ISP ever...combined :mad2:

Utopia doesn't even have plans for West Jordan so don't hold your breath for them. West Jordan opted out of Utopia. There have been several guys that have gathered petitions and presented them to the City Counsel but the City Counsel thinks there are plenty of options for internet already :rolleyes:

All ISPs are ridiculous, but Comcast just tops them all.
I agree 100% with every thing you just said about Comcast. I had a problem with the IP address I was getting from them and wanted it changed and they simply told me that I had to unplug my modem and then plug it in and I would have a new IP. Will I did that and will it didn't work so I let it set for 2 days being unpluged and still was getting the same IP. Will after calling them about 6-7 times over a week I got some one that knew what I wanted and knew what they was doing and got me a new IP. I guess they look at the mac address of your modem and give the mac address the IP address and then if you plug in a router to your modem then they give your routers mac address a totally different IP then the modem. I guess the timing on there system for an ip to stay with a mac address is around 4 days they said.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have qwest for about 3 yrs now... only problem with them is I am getting only 955kbps-1.2 mbps off of their 1.5mbps service... and the upload rate has never been better then 387kbps right now its sitting at 192kbps yet they advertise it being 512 or 768... and they are charging me 39.99 for this yet anyone that gets it new from them right now get its for 19.99...

And they have no Idea when they will have the 7mbps service in my area... this is why I joined up with digis...

Caleb

I have qwest for about 3 yrs now... only problem with them is I am getting only 955kbps-1.2 mbps off of their 1.5mbps service... and the upload rate has never been better then 387kbps right now its sitting at 192kbps yet they advertise it being 512 or 768... and they are charging me 39.99 for this yet anyone that gets it new from them right now get its for 19.99...

And they have no Idea when they will have the 7mbps service in my area... this is why I joined up with digis...
That's definitely the problem with Qwest. They charge you for more then they give you and give you the excuse of "overhead" is why you aren't getting your speeds you are paying for. Also qwest is more expensive and slower (for what you pay) then any other service.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member

Not going with the $42 dealio... I was thinking the Digis for 29.95...

Also, Comcrap has screwed up my bill more than they have gotten it correct in almost 3 years, and caused several issues with my bank account (don't do the automatic payments with them unless you like arguing with idiots on the phone.) They have been extremely unpleasant for my wife and I to deal with on the phone. Oh, and they change their price every bill unless you call and threaten to cancel... but I don't know if that is worth going through monthly to keep their internet services...