Best places to explore while at Comb Ridge?

sixstringsteve

I'll be visiting Bluff, Valley of the Gods, and Comb Ridge soon. Last time we were there, we didn't find any ruins on comb ridge proper. We found mule canyon and know of a few others, but I was wondering if there are any ruins on comb ridge itself.

Also, what are the must-do hikes while you're out there? I plan on visiting Dollhouse if the roads aren't too snowy, but I need some suggestions for day hikes in the area.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Man, i totally drove past them in 2012. That's good to know. Are they actually on comb ridge itself, or to the east of the ridge?

DAA

Any trailhead you see off of Butler heading towards the ridge will take you to ruins and rock art. This weekend ought to be spectacular down there!

I don't think you'll make it up to Dollhouse just yet though.

- DAA

Hardcastle

There are a bunch of ruins along the east side of comb ridge that i've been to just West of Butler Wash road. Non of them are major hikes but because there are so many you can spend all day seeing them and only drive a few miles. It's been a few years since I've been there but basically you drive up Butler Wash rd and look for trail heads. Walk a mile or 2 and you'll find ruins and rock art. X2 about what Dave said. Dollhouse will likely have too much snow to access. The Citadel ruin is a cool one I've really wanted to see and it's not too far from comb ridge. Might be worth looking into.

I don't know of any hikes off of Valley of the Gods rd.

allterrain

AllTerrain
I'm late on this I know, but you are right there at the trailhead for Arch Canyon and Hotel Rock. Both "must do" trails in the Blanding area. Ruins on both trails.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll see those next time. We ended up seeing a few different ruins, but I don't think we went to Arch Canyon or Hotel Rock.

[video=youtube;GzCbmsp2_18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzCbmsp2_18[/video]