Best platform for street legal crawler

Bart

I guess I do different trails than you guys, because I'd hate to have that much sheet metal exposed to rocks. I prefer a smaller rig. Its all relative.

Paulie

I need a smaller rig as well, the larger blazers and bronco's are too wide for some of the stuff we do, the doors would be smashed big time. I was looking at an older bronco, but it needed a ton of work to get it to where I need it to be.

Bart, got the pics of Dave's rig and mulling it over in my head. Thanks for getting the info for me.

Paul

4554x4

always modifing something
I need a smaller rig as well, the larger blazers and bronco's are too wide for some of the stuff we do, the doors would be smashed big time. I was looking at an older bronco, but it needed a ton of work to get it to where I need it to be.

Bart, got the pics of Dave's rig and mulling it over in my head. Thanks for getting the info for me.

Paul

Yes, I understand about the body damage issues. But I dont have a problem with it . I just dont care! But I dont have a prob. with my doors, I just take um off... eventually when the blazer is so rough you cant tell what it is, it will be turned into a truggy.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
There's a point in the trail where you have no choice but to put it on it's side and drive denting your doors.. you committed or not?

You don't have to beat the hell out of it to run the trail - ask Bobdog. He has one of the nicest CJ's I've seen, with not many scratches, let alone dents... Yes, I'm committed and yes I'll follow buggies with it.

venpick

77 fj40
One word UNIMOG.
unimog-da-dogs1.jpg

as long as you are in no hurry to go places. like any mountain pass probably 30 mph. but you can laugh at their punny 37s ha. plus they come with many options like 4 doors, machinge gun mounts etc.

Paulie

Unimogs are cool, but not really what I am looking for. I have been talking to a couple of guys, but still looking for the moment. If you happen across something please post up and let me know. I am open to most anything.

Thanks

venpick

77 fj40
ok so your not looking for the ultimate offroader that is also street legal. your looking for the ultimate onroader that also goes very very very far offroad. hmmmmmm smells like a toyota. hahahahahha i can hear the riot starting allready. heheheheheh. i see from the very first post that you are interested in a jeep. However, the old school 4 runners with removable tops are the coolest things ever. get the last model you can like maybe a 89 ish removable top with 6 cyl. and then either get one that allready has been converted (preferred cuz money is the key) or else convert to a solid front axle. They have tons and i mean tonsssss of after market components(marlin gearing,suspension, on and on, a back seat, plus room to spare for your gear. Im just gonna say it quietly. toyotas rule. shhhhhhh.
2523056870059247291S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/1221/2523056870059247291S600x600Q85.jpg

venpick

77 fj40
;ALSO please dont crucify me. I like Jeeps. the new ones i think are probably some of the best off roaders ever made and the new 4 door would fit your family perfectly plus have a great building platform. some of the older jeeps are good too. However you said less than 10k and which would you rather own an old jeep or a toyota. guarnteed the toy is still running. ok now crucify me.:eek:

venpick

77 fj40
ok one final thought then im done. the old pre 79 ford bronco have so much style it is sickening they can haul 4 people plus go almost anywhere off road. tons of after market part plus you can find an old lincoln mark 7 motor (H.O. 5.0 liter) for next to nothing and bolt it right in. i dont remember the exact numbers but something like 225 hp and 310 ft lbs of torque. so cool
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5memv.../www.fordcobraengines.com/Truck_Customers.htm
check http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=13 in the rock crawler section.

Last edited:

Paulie

I am talking with a couple of guys with yota's right now as well. The mogs are really cool, but most end up out of my price range. I like the new jeeps as well, but dont really want another payment, plus when I bash it into something I might cry...........

Thanks for the input and keep it coming.
Paul

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
ok one final thought then im done. the old pre 79 ford bronco have so much style it is sickening they can haul 4 people plus go almost anywhere off road. tons of after market part plus you can find an old lincoln mark 7 motor (H.O. 5.0 liter) for next to nothing and bolt it right in. i dont remember the exact numbers but something like 225 hp and 310 ft lbs of torque. so cool
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5memv.../www.fordcobraengines.com/Truck_Customers.htm
check http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=13 in the rock crawler section.

The 5.0 would swap in easily but the 79s came with 351Ms and 400Ms which have the Ford big block belhousing pattern which to me means a 460 is the logical swap. The 5.0 would not be a bolt in.