• Dana 60

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • Ford 9 inch

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
I want to know what you think is the best rockcrawling rear axel is out of these three for a mid size buggy 35 tires 4.3 V6.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Fat Tony said:
I want to know what you think is the best rockcrawling rear axel is out of these three for a mid size buggy 35' tires 4.3 V6.

I voted 9 inch in this case, if you can deal with the driveline angles. Best clearance of the three, and lighter weight.

Then again, with 35 foot tall tires you might want to consider something really beefy.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Bart said:
60 is a 60 is a 60! High pinion in front, regular in the rear.

Obviously I'm a fan of that setup since that's what I chose for my own rig, but do you really think they're the best choice for just 35's? There is a ground clearance penalty there.

wr250

insert lame comment
rockwells
2ton-a.jpg

Bart

I Lean said:
Obviously I'm a fan of that setup since that's what I chose for my own rig, but do you really think they're the best choice for just 35's? There is a ground clearance penalty there.

Good point, they would be better with a 37" tire minimum.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I can't even decide on a vote....to many variables to say this one is best. I run a 9" and a hp60.
I agree with what has been said.
I love the tru-hi9". That would be my choice if money was not an issue.
35 spline or maybe 40spline gun drilled axles, truhi9 center, shaved Currie HD housing, full float with Sandy Cone spindles and hubs.... Droooooooooool
Nope, never dreamed about this before:D

Crinco

The 14 bolt is super strong and cheap, so if money is an issue.....
The 60 is strong and has many options....
The 9 inch, high good-low bad.

For 35" tires the 60is over kill, all those axles are. BUT, overbuild it now and spend the money once! Even if you go to bigger tires, you will still be ok.
I threw away a 60 rear not too long ago, I couldn't find anyone who would take it. (It was like 16 spline or something like that! 78 ford rear)

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
FZJ80 axles are the perfect axle. They have a third member, have disk brakes, are full floating, have factory electric lockers, are ultra strong, and they have birfs. Good luck finding them though.