Best route out to the Newfies? Newfoundland Mountians?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
What's the best way out to the Newfies? I've looked at a couple of trip reports, but they seem vaug in the exact route to get there? I want to take my son on an overnighter out there.

Thanks

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Define "best". You can come down from the Hogups without a hint of trespassing, but that's the long way around. Or you can come up from I70 via Lakeside, but some folks have been ticketed for being on the causeway between Lakeside and the Hogups access. Whether there's an open ROW on that section of the causeway is apparently an open question, but not if you ask the railroad. Enforcement is spotty, but you do run the risk if you decide to take that route.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
When I went out I did the Lakeside route. They were doing work at the quarry right where you hop the causeway and I found the dude in a railroad truck and asked if it was okay if I could drive out that way. He didn't understand why I would want to go out there but said I was okay to do so. That probably wouldn't hold up if it needed to but I did get at least some permission.

When I got out there I was pretty low on fuel so I wasn't able to explore as much at all. I'm not sure how much rain they've gotten recently but I'd be real careful on the small stretch from the causeway after you cross back south of the tracks and the tip of the range. It is lower there and was a mud pit when I went.

Wish I didn't have time sensitive projects and that I could join. My dog and I had a great time on the day trip we did out there.

Troop92

If an after work thing, the I80 way will be faster, most likely. Never been that way, just via the pumping station/causeway.

Those roads are sketch if wet/muddy. You might have cell service out there. If you get in a spot, shout. I've nothing better going in this evening or tomorrow, really.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
12106788_10153247613545028_8677712787775893242_n.jpg