Best TJ Long Arm kit?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Supergper said:
alright, so this thread is nearly a year old :D but I'm shopping (again) for myself this time, are there any other players in the TJ Long Arm market? Is the best bang for the buck still RE?

Wayne, you have the 5.5" RE kit with 35s right? Are you still street legal with that height? Now that it's been out for a while, is the RE tri-link worth it? It uses the rear axle diff cover for the upper mounts right? If so then I don't need to worry cause I won't be running stock axles so it won't work for me :p.

So, any new info I need to consider? :confused:
Now would be the time to order the RELA if you're going to do it.. I'm placing an order probably Monday for a RELA on an Unlimited and between the two kits, it should keep shipping costs down for both of us. It's pretty close to being free. Get another RELA (total of three), for example, in there and we'll all get free shipping.

I do have the RELA w/5.5" and 35's... As for street legal, I'm not sure. My rig is still new enough I don't have to do safety/IM. I have been stopped for no mud flaps and given a warning on them. There was no talk about being too tall..... Oh, and I was also stopped outside of Vernal for speeding once, too. He gave me a warning on my cracked windshield. So I *think* I'm legal....

I still wouldn't get the RE tri link setup. Granted, it is a complete bolt on, but it's still funky. What I would do is get the RELA and Clayton's tri link upgrade - best of both worlds.

If you are interested in prices, shoot me a PM and I'll make it worth while! :D

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Well, as before I put another RK kit on the newer TJ. Still like the ride, price and ease of install. Its not completely bolt on, some welding required for the rear cradle, frame brackets, etc.

I used a bastard kit of old parts and new, the old kit I have uses a single rear upper that bolts to the cradle and to the factory upper mounts, the lowers mount to the new frame brackets.

The front mounts to the driver side upper axle mount with a replacement rebuildable heim, and then to the inside frame rail above the lower weld on mount.

If to buy a whole RK kit, the new belly up skid holds all the mounts unlike how I did mine.

Only disadvantage so far is the rear cradle, If decide to swap axles again, I either have to cut this one off or buy a new one, (around 150$) not too bad, but would probably be wort it in the long run.

1145026381_cradle.jpg

1145026408_cradle_in.jpg

wipedawg

anybody on the forum a vendor for rockkrawler? I'm looking to get the 5.5 for a 04 dodge ram i'm about to buy. Just trying to get it a lil cheaper than what their website demands :)

To make this relevant to the year old thread.... i still like the nth degree LA for tj's... but for the money and performance i'll have to put my vote towards rockkrawler :)

Caleb

Rockkrawler has one dealer around here (Creasey's Offroad) and due to their awesome workmanship, and even better customer service I refuse to even consider the Rockkrawler kit.

I'm 99% sure I'm going with the RE kit. For the price it's still the best bang for the buck. Nth degree kit looks very nice, and may be a better kit than the RE kit BUT for $4000 (as I said earlier) I can have a custom long arm setup fabbed with coilovers and all the bells and whistles than go with it.

SICK99TJ

Supergper said:
Rockkrawler has one dealer around here (Creasey's Offroad) and due to their awesome workmanship, and even better customer service I refuse to even consider the Rockkrawler kit.

I'm 99% sure I'm going with the RE kit. For the price it's still the best bang for the buck. Nth degree kit looks very nice, and may be a better kit than the RE kit BUT for $4000 (as I said earlier) I can have a custom long arm setup fabbed with coilovers and all the bells and whistles than go with it.

I have rk kit with coilovers and the whole sh!tten cabbodle. i bought it from creasey and have had nothing but the best service and good quality work come out of there in my experience. that is cool that you are going with the kit that you are, but there is no need to start baggin on a shop. -_- just trying to keep the peace.:greg:

MRJ

Just a user
I have to plug Mount Logan Off-Road. They have a suspension company called Rock Slide Engineering. They installed a 6" long arm lift on my 99 TJ. The quality is amazing. They have a rear truss that they install and triangulate the rear to remove the track bar. They installed a Currie Anti Rock also and the Jeep handles amazing on the highway. I drove ti down to Moab last week for EJS and it does 70-75 just like it was stock. We were able to run one trail and it performed flawless. It flexes great, no extra noises at all.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has a TJ or an XJ, as they just got done with a coil conversion rear XJ lift.

I have heard John will have a booth at the Off-road Expo. You should definitely go see him and check out there work.

Caleb

MRJ said:
I have to plug Mount Logan Off-Road. They have a suspension company called Rock Slide Engineering. They installed a 6" long arm lift on my 99 TJ. The quality is amazing. They have a rear truss that they install and triangulate the rear to remove the track bar. They installed a Currie Anti Rock also and the Jeep handles amazing on the highway. I drove ti down to Moab last week for EJS and it does 70-75 just like it was stock. We were able to run one trail and it performed flawless. It flexes great, no extra noises at all.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has a TJ or an XJ, as they just got done with a coil conversion rear XJ lift.

I have heard John will have a booth at the Off-road Expo. You should definitely go see him and check out there work.
very good info, I'll be at the Offroad Expo so I will have to ask him some questions :cool:

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
There are a lot of options for the TJ long arm kits. I have a few buddies that run the RK long arm kits and they flex like none other. I have a ZJ and WJ with RK long arm kits on them and love them. The only thing I don't like is the little joints on the quick disconnects ware over time. As far as the Creasey thing that was beff that kid had with the shop, I have had plenty of work done at that shop and have had no problems with customer service or the workmanship. Bang for your buck RK and that is my two bits.

mierdota

Supergper said:

i second this i am not only sayin stuff cause i have beef with scott why dont you ask about the track bar that broke off of the frame of a grand cherokee while the costomer was driving down the road. this person is lucky they were only going slow in a neiborhood or they probably would have been killed. it caused them to swerve off the road at only 25 miles an hour. At freeway speeds that jeep would have rolled. Keep up the good work Creasey's ha ha. i guess you would not feel bad if someone died scott!!!

rmx1

Most of the "bolt on" kit are pretty even as far as road ride and off road performance , but if your going to use them hard off road you should consider somthing a little stouter ! Check these guys out ! they do a complete triangulated 3-link rear and a long arm 4- link that is way to cool and very beefy !! www.tanner4x4.com these guys kick ass !!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
poop said:
Supergper said:

i second this i am not only sayin stuff cause i have beef with scott why dont you ask about the track bar that broke off of the frame of a grand cherokee while the costomer was driving down the road. this person is lucky they were only going slow in a neiborhood or they probably would have been killed. it caused them to swerve off the road at only 25 miles an hour. At freeway speeds that jeep would have rolled. Keep up the good work Creasey's ha ha. i guess you would not feel bad if someone died scott!!!

Just to clarify a little on the broken track bar automatically causing an automatic cataclysmic seismic event and major multi-car wreck with explosions worthy of a CHIPS episode. I lost my bolt (long story) to my trackbar on my XJ once going about 65-70 mph up I-80 between Echo and Evanston. No fault of any vendor, more of use of the vehicle and maintenance. The vehicle was 'strange' to steer, but still fairly controllable. I could have had an accident, but was able to make it off to the side of the road and assess my situation. The steering simply took MUCH longer to respond than it normally would. (short arm 5.5"-6" lift with 35" tires)

I'm not saying you "couldn't" have an accident, but people seem to think it would automatically cause the whole front axle to fall out from under the car and there'd be parts and tires spread from here to breakfast. In my experience, that is not the case. If I kept my cool and just let the Jeep drive where it would, I was fine.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
mbryson said:
Just to clarify a little on the broken track bar automatically causing an automatic cataclysmic seismic event and major multi-car wreck with explosions worthy of a CHIPS episode. I lost my bolt (long story) to my trackbar on my XJ once going about 65-70 mph up I-80 between Echo and Evanston. No fault of any vendor, more of use of the vehicle and maintenance. The vehicle was 'strange' to steer, but still fairly controllable. I could have had an accident, but was able to make it off to the side of the road and assess my situation. The steering simply took MUCH longer to respond than it normally would. (short arm 5.5"-6" lift with 35" tires)

I'm not saying you "couldn't" have an accident, but people seem to think it would automatically cause the whole front axle to fall out from under the car and there'd be parts and tires spread from here to breakfast. In my experience, that is not the case. If I kept my cool and just let the Jeep drive where it would, I was fine.
Makes sense.. They are a triangulated four link from the factory. Having the track bar actually causes the suspension to bind. But with the soft rubber bushings they use to keep the road nice, the triangulated 4 link doesn't have a chance.

I could see if it was the rear trackbar bracket breaking and ruining your day, though... Not only would you lose your trackbar, but you would also lose the upper control arm, half of the triangle...

Caleb

waynehartwig said:
I could see if it was the rear trackbar bracket breaking and ruining your day, though... Not only would you lose your trackbar, but you would also lose the upper control arm, half of the triangle...

and I have seen it first hand on my brother's...and after searching around it appears to be quite common on TJs to tear the rear trac bar off which, as you pointed out, also tears off that control arm. Also, on my bros (and a few others I read about) the added stress to the other side tore it off as well causing the poinion to shoot straight up... :eek:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
mbryson said:

I'm pretty sure the RK kit is a three-link, so with no panhard bar the axle has zero lateral control.

mierdota

I Lean said:
I'm pretty sure the RK kit is a three-link, so with no panhard bar the axle has zero lateral control.

yes it is a three link so if the track bar goes it is very hard to control the jeep