Best Way to Cut Aluminum

midog

I am to the point of my project of making the panels for my fuel cell and flooring / firewall. I have bought a sheet if 1/8 aluminum and was wondering what the best way is to cut it?

I am used to using a angle grinder and stone wheel for steel but not so good on aluminum. I was thinking about getting a fine tooth bi-metal blade for my table saw for the long cuts?

Any suggestions would be great!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Yes, a metal blade on the table saw would work great and keep your lines where you want them cut. I have also used a grinder on smaller aluminum stuff and it really roughs it up.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I use a skill saw with a standard wood blade. Works fine. Using a metal blade my heat up the aluminum and cause it to melt. My plasma sux because of this.

Caleb

Yep, use a wood blade. A metal blade will clog up and then begin to heat up and do what Shawn said. A wood blade will cut through like butter. You can use a skill saw or a table saw if it's sheet, a miter box works great for tube, angle, etc (basically anything that will fit in it)...again, using a wood blade.

Caleb

Also, if you need to grind any of the aluminum, get a disc specific for the aluminum. It will do two things, first is it won't clog up like a metal disc will, and it will also give you a dedicated aluminum disc so you won't contaminate the areas that need to be welded. The aluminum specific discs can be picked up at most metal suppliers (I used to always buy ours at Wasatch Steel).

sixb

Will work for beer!
Once I had to cut up a full sheet of 3/8 thick Mic.6 alumn. intp 4" x 15" pieces, and did it with a carbide tipped blade on my skill saw and wd40. Worked great.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Just a side note, when I cut I typically clamp a straight edge onto the surface to insure a nice straight, clean cut. I must admit that when I was first told about this method I was a bit skeptic about the results. There is just something about cutting "metal" with a wood blade that seems wrong. The result is no different than cutting wood. Clean, easy, and the shavings look similar to what wood shavings would look like.

I also forgot to mention as noted above, a nice carbide tipped blade works good.

Caleb

I've used a jig saw or my plasma with great results. If you need long straight cuts a shear might be better.

Just a side note, when I cut I typically clamp a straight edge onto the surface to insure a nice straight, clean cut. I must admit that when I was first told about this method I was a bit skeptic about the results. There is just something about cutting "metal" with a wood blade that seems wrong. The result is no different than cutting wood. Clean, easy, and the shavings look similar to what wood shavings would look like.

I also forgot to mention as noted above, a nice carbide tipped blade works good.

I was just coming to say, use a straight edge if you need long straight cuts but Shawn beat me to it. :shawn: :D

Like Shawn said, it may seem odd, but when I was building/modifying/etc large fishing boats (60'+) we had just about any tool we could want or need at our disposal (besides a 12'+ sheer :D) and 9 times out of 10, we'd break out the wood saw to cut the aluminum. Even on jobs that a plasma made more sense and was easier to handle (like cutting window openings out of a cabin), we'd still use a wood saw because the results were so much nicer and the prep was turned to nothing. Just be sure to wear ear (and obviously eye) protection. :p

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've been happy with the results from my plasma cutter on aluminum, but I may just try a circular saw next time.

bobmed

- - - -
I worked at a place years ago that made clean rooms with laminated aluminum panels and to cut out window openings we used a router with a carbide bit.
There were steel patterns and the bit had a bearing at the top to follow the edge of the pattern.

Attachments

• 50-102.gif
    50-102.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 0