Best yard in Utah to pull a 60 front?

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
I posted a blurb of this somewhere else, but I thought I'd just start a new thread too...

Where's the best yard to pull a front 60 from? Best price?

I'm not that interested in a complete front end, but I'm thinking it would be easier than rounding up all the individual parts. I've already got a HP center section ready for new tubes....and I've got a R&P/locker.

I need: Inner C's, Knuckles (kingpin style), spindles, hubs, brakes, lockouts, etc (everything from inner C out). Don't care about LP or HP housing and I don't care what side the drop is on. I'd prefer chevy so I can run 35 spline outers easily.

Question: Is it possible to run a 6 lug set-up with a 35 spline stub shaft? I'm not sure if it's possible, but if it is let me know what I'd need.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Thanks for the help guys ;)

Seriously though....is it that tuff to find one? The only yard I've been to recently is the one in Lehi and I noticed they had a boatload of axles....but I didn't dig through them since I was there for something else.

trpl xj

most any yard in the salt lake, ogden areas have been picked clean. And if by chance you do find one they are probaly going to want an arm and leg for it. If all your needing is the inner knuckles check Ebay but be carefull don't buy them unless they accept somekind of online payment. I got burned really bad over a set of knuckles the guy took my 200 bucks and ran no parts. Also put a post in the Pirate4x4.com wanted section. Thats what I did and got two reply's with in half a day. I ended up buying a pair of kingpin style knuckles from a guy for 140 bucks with shipping. If you want I can give you the other guys user name and you could contact him and see if he still has the knuckles. I'm sure he does I just made the post last week.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've heard that Anderson's in Spanish Fork has tons of axles laying around. I ran into a guy out at Mini Moab and he said he bought 2 or 3 front 60's for 250 each and then took them back because he didn't have anyplace to keep them.

Cody

Caleb

Originally posted by GroceryGetter
I've heard that Anderson's in Spanish Fork has tons of axles laying around. I ran into a guy out at Mini Moab and he said he bought 2 or 3 front 60's for 250 each and then took them back because he didn't have anyplace to keep them.

Cody

I'm calling bull**** on that...just about any yard you call wont sell a front axle for $250 let alone a 1 ton front end...and if the guy knew what a dana 60 was he obviously knew what they were worth and could have easily, within a day, doubled his money back on them by selling them...most yards around here(and the western US) have been picked clean by Boyce Equipment (bastards)

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
If I could buy 60 fronts for $250 I'd quit my day job and sell 60's from the back of a van all day :D

I'm assuming $800-$1200 for a complete front end.

I checked with Boyce and their prices are crazy. They want 2,150 for the front and that doesn't even include a carrier/locker or R&P. The 2,150 is for a low pinion.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/

Rockwells may be a cheaper alternative :cool:

Last edited:

Caleb

Originally posted by Mike_Lib
If I could buy 60 fronts for $250 I'd quit my day job and sell 60's from the back of a van all day :D

I'm assuming $800-$1200 for a complete front end.

I checked with Boyce and their prices are crazy. They want 2,150 for the front and that doesn't even include a carrier/locker or R&P. The 2,150 is for a low pinion.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/

Rockwells may be a cheaper alternative :cool:

Yep Boyce used to have good deals but then they hit the main stream a few years back and are outrageous now...if you are up to fabbing the rockwells are probably a cheaper route...but I would run nothing less than 38s otherwise ground clearance is an issue(and even then it would still be) but you can shave them too...shaved is good:D

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
If you find one lacally for a decent price, your very lucky!!!!

I may still be able to get one in the $900 range, not local though.

Yes, you can do 5 or 6 lug with 35 spline outers. Mine has a fair amount of machine work, or you can just buy the stuff from Dyna$$$$$$

Charles at Rocky mountain axle did my 5 lug. I am using ford 60 spindle, wheel hub, and ford 1/2 ton caliper/bracket/rotor. I can run 35 outers, but have to have them custom made, ford spindle/hub is shorter. I used ford to keep the hub inside the rim. You could easily use the chev 1 ton and 1/2 to parts together to do a 6 lug conversion, actually easier than what I did.

There is a current thread on POR about this too.
Marc

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'n my search for a dana 60 I found a lot of yards that said they had dana 60's or one ton front ends, and the trurned out to be HD dana 44's.

I have found One yard were the manager had no idea what a dana 60 was worth. This however is not info I'm willing to share.:(

The closes yard I found with a dana 60, was in Montana, and they wanted $500.00 for it.

The best way to find one is to keep asking around. I paid $1000.00 for mine and it was in perfect condition, and it came in a create;)