BEWARE - Sprinklers By Design

RKCRWLR

Had Sprinklers By Design, formerly of Toole, owned by Mark Crump, do some turn-key sod work at my house last November. Got a lein letter from Chanshire Farms yesterday for the sod, which I had already paid double for it appears. Looks like I am going to need a lawyer. I would not use them (Chanshire or Sprinklers By Design)!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have heard nothing but good about chanshare...it appears that your sprinkler man is the one at fault and hasnt paid chanshare for the sod and now they put a lien on your house because it is where the sod went. I would call the sod farm and ask them what and why they did that so you can properly fix your legal fury on the proper party(s).

Liens are not that bad as long as you get things sorted out.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Hmmmmm

I think that's the asshat that "installed" my sprinklers: completely crappy job that I won't get into here. I'll have to check on that.

Since it's come to that, I'd sue the HELL out of the installer, just on principle. Nothing aggravates me more than contractors/etc who can't just do what they're paid for without screwing you somehow. :mad2:

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Tacoma said:
Hmmmmm

I think that's the asshat that "installed" my sprinklers: completely crappy job that I won't get into here. I'll have to check on that.

Since it's come to that, I'd sue the HELL out of the installer, just on principle. Nothing aggravates me more than contractors/etc who can't just do what they're paid for without screwing you somehow. :mad2:

i will second that, same guy that did my sprinklers, they never have worked right, had to have another crew come in and all but tear up my lawn and start over.

tv_larsen

If the installer was a licensed contractor, and you had a signed contract with him, you're fine.

The contractor that built my house failed to pay the lumber yard for about $17,000 worth of material that they delivered for the construction. About 6 months later they placed a lien on my house. I was told by my title company that all I'd have to do was present a copy of the signed contract I had with the builder and the lumber yard would have to remove the lien. It never went that far because the contractor started paying off his bill after I called him and let him know what I thought of him. ;)

RKCRWLR

Thanks for the info. Yep, the job was never finished for me either. I have pipe sticking up everywhere. Took a week to get the main line straightened out. Tractor work so smooth out the base was never done, etc, etc. Found the signed contract, the cancelled checks (paid in full) and I am the owner, so it does look like I am in the clear. I had heard nothing but good about Chanshare a well. I specified he use them. My gripe with them is I expected a call or other notice before I got a lein letter. I am a bit old fashioned I guess. I consider an assault on my ome to be an assault on me and my family. I would perfer it was 1860 so that it could be settled with a side arm and a long rope!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Don't blame the sod farm. They really had no other recourse. They sold the sod to the contractor, and the contractor never paid them. The only thing they can do to protect themselves is put a lein on your house. It's the contractor your should be pissed at.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The contractor on our house did the same to the concrete company LOL
They took care of it faaaairly quickly but phone calls help.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
My wife is an interior designer. She does lots of carpet, hardwood, and tile for new homes. She ocasionally has to put a lein on the home because she can't get the contractor to pay. Sucks for the homeowner, but it is the only legal recourse subcontractors have if they can not ge the contractor to pay. She always talks to the homeowners to explain what is going on and why. Often a little pressure from the customer will get the contractor to pay the subs.

RKCRWLR

I will remain pissed at the sod farm as well. I deserved a call ahead of time and they would have had me working with them to collect on this rather than against them. Failing to call is unprofessional and demonstrates a lack of ethical and particularly moral fortitude. As for the contractor, he has no idea the level of expense or the level of pressure (I know where his mom and kids are) that I will go to. He would be best served to stay in Oregon, I don't get up that way to often. In this case, luckily I am protected financially since I have the contract, paid in full, etc. (first Utah law I have found that makes sence!). My favorite part is sod for other homes was delivered to my address, then moved from there, so the lein is for thier sod as well. What BS.

I need the weather to dry up...a few days with the Jeep and a few fine cigars and I will feel much better... Rant over!