Big block chev in Jeep

4x4phil

I know the engine mounts and bell housing hookups are the same as a small block but I've never seen one in a jeep. Other than weight, why? Is it the exhaust? Is it possible to put one in a YJ, TJ, CJ?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I have seen a 454 in a Jeepster before. They fit pretty nicely. I am pretty sure I saw a 455 in a wwII era willies flattie at a car show too.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I helped a friend install a 454 in a '79 CJ-7. This was a sand Jeep and the motor was a 10.5 to 1 compression with a BIG Comp Cam, desk top dyno put it at 550 HP. It fit very well with fab'd fenderwell headers. We had cooling issues. He ran a 4 row Mepco radiator with a clutch fan and an Electric pusher. Cooling worked OK for general street driving, but it was hard to keep cool on the dunes (Motor working all the time). I wanted to try an aluminum cross flow, he decided to install it in his wifes '71 Monte Carlo.
I have a SB 406 with 10.5 to 1 and run a Mepco 4 core with no issues, I have 2 other friends with 406's that run on the street and Moab with no problems as well. I really like 400's and 406's. I think it really comes down to what kind of power you want to make and what you are going to do with the vehicle. Small blocks can make great power when built right- and they are cheaper to build. My .02

4x4phil

So it sounds like you'd have to make custom headers. And you have cooling problems. You think you'd have the same problems if the motor were closer to stock? (cooling I mean) How much more does a bbc weigh than a sbc?

bigchev79

sbc weighs 600lbs 454 and anather 150lbs
ehauhse no prob get some block hugger headers
cooling go to summet raceing the have a rad that will handel it. looks ugle but it will cool

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Yes, but it takes fenagleing, Bud dropped a 350 in a Jeepster, myself and Johnnie are dropping a 350/465/205 in a 65' CJ-5.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Badcop said:
Yes, but it takes fenagleing, Bud dropped a 350 in a Jeepster, myself and Johnnie are dropping a 350/465/205 in a 65' CJ-5.
I would like to see some pics on how the 350 looks in the Jeepster.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Youd have to ask Bud, Im going to try and hit him or Dan up at the shop this afternoon to ask a favor. Ill try to take a picture of his progress if he doesnt chime in before that.

Brian