Big Kitty

UTAHCRUISER

Supporting Vendor!
I went hiking up one of my favorite trails here today- up Settlement Canyon, on a trail called The Dark Trail, and while I was up there, I came across a group of hunters with their hounds. They were up on the hillside just a few hundred feet above where I was hiking, and their hounds were making some awful noises- obvious that they had treed a mountain lion. I had my dog with me, and didn't want to disturb their situation, so I kept hiking up the trail. A few minutes later, I heard a single gunshot. When I got back down to the bottom of the trail after my hike, the hunters were putting away their dogs and equipment, and I got to check out the dead kitty.

I have always known that there's big cats in them there hills, and I have seen lots of tracks, and have even been tracked by them. Certainly adds a bit of humility and respect when I actually get to check one out up close and personal. Big kitty.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 16

UTAHCRUISER

Supporting Vendor!
I agree. I wouldn't be too interested in shooting one just for the sport of it. I can't fault other people for choosing to hunt them though. Unfortunately killing them is just about the only way to ever get an opportunity to check one out up close.

Grim

congrats to the hunters . if utah didnt have cat tags, our deer population would be a lot worse than it already is

Houndoc

I think Mountain Lions are awesome, I don't know if I would ever shoot one unless is about to eat me though.

I'd love to go after them with hounds, for both the work with the dogs and to get photos.

Only reason I think I would shoot one is knowing the effect they have on deer populations (although I hear they taste pretty good.)

A couple of summers ago we found track in our back yard.