Big load headed to Moab--am I legal???

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I posted this on another board, and something was brought to my attention that I did not anticipate :eek::ugh:....

My plan in ten day's is to put two Toyota's on one 35 foot goose neck, and pull them behind my Ford down to Moab and back :D Assuming that the two trucks weigh upwards of 3500 lbs loaded plus the weight of the trailer (not sure on that one yet) I should be pushing close to 10K lbs if I'm thinking right :confused:

Here's the question: What do I need to worry about legally? Someone mentioned a Class A CDL--what's the UHP and UDOT's view on that? I swear that there are horse trailers and travel trailers that surpass that weight--is there something I'm missing?

Any help, tips, and idea's would be appreciated ;)

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
It goes by how many axles you are running. 2 on your truck and 2 on your trailer.... you are ok. 3 on your trailer and you need a cdl. At least thats what I was told once upon a time

1993yj

And the chances of you actually getting pulled over (as long as you are obeying speed limit laws, etc.) I would say are about slim to none. IF you do get pulled over then you can find out the laws and inform the rest of us though.

Corban_White

As long as it is for recreational use and not commercial there is no licence requirement in Utah. Utah has a total length limit that I believe is 65 feet. As long as you are under that and everything is tied down well you shouldn't have any trouble.

BTW, for commercial use a Class A licence is needed for anything over 26,000 lbs GVWR (GCWR for you non-commercial haulers)

Last edited:

Bart

What Corban said. I pull like that all the time. BTW, I think you are a little low on your weight numbers. I think my gooseneck with two rigs is about 12,000 lbs plus.

StormRider

What Corban said. I pull like that all the time. BTW, I think you are a little low on your weight numbers. I think my gooseneck with two rigs is about 12,000 lbs plus.

X2 - plus, 10,000lbs on the GVWR (gross vehicle) can put you into CDL territory. Also, I'm willing to bet that 35' Gooseneck is going to be well over 7,000lbs.

Something else to keep in mind- even if your truck can pull that load, can it STOP that load? You do have a good trailer brake controller, right? :)

Bucking Bronco

I could be wrong and there is a good chance that I am, but you are only allowed to tow the amount the vehicle is rated for. So don’t go over the vehicle tow rating. And you only need a CDL when the vehicle limit is above 25001lb

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oh I have trailer brakes ;)--that would be suicide on the south end of Soldiers Summit without! :eek:

I think my Ford is ready for the weight ie. 10ply tires, brake controller, all guages including pyrometer, standard transmission, and overloads on the Sterling FF rearend.

Hmm maybe I'll call UDOT to find out for sure.

Thanks for the reply's though :D

Andrew

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Two rigs on one gooes neck trailer, right?

No big deal, I tow two rigs on a goose neck on a regular basis...

There is a length issue but as long as it is two rigs and not two rig PLUS a flat tow behind that you should be fine.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
good luck getting someone to answer the phone that can give you the right answer. anytime you call some one to ask about legality, the answer will always be no.

So true! They are right up there with the county assessors :rolleyes:

I'm just going to do it and act stupid (I'm good at that) if I get pulled over.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I heard you will be fine, they were ticketing the commercial drivers though with stuff like cattle, and hay, grain etc. not rec stuff.

Modest_Killing

Durka Durka Der
My Buddies Haul There Toys On A Goose Neck All The Time, But I Don't Think The Trailer Is Like Yours...

But To The Question. If You Ask A Highway Patrol Officer They Can Tell You What You Can And Can't Do..... If You Can Find One:)

rollover

No CDL required if 26,000 lbs and under. CDL needed if 26,001 lbs and above. However recreational Vehicles are exempt. You need a CDL when hauling commercially for money.

This is according to Utah Drivers Handbook.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
This is exactly right. I'm 55' total length, and right near 30,000 pounds. Being as it's an "RV", I'm exempt from the CDL and port of entry rules. One issue I do have is being 102" wide. Not a problem out west, but illegal in half a dozen or so eastern states. Don't sweat it, just go have fun.

No CDL required if 26,000 lbs and under. CDL needed if 26,001 lbs and above. However recreational Vehicles are exempt. You need a CDL when hauling commercially for money.

This is according to Utah Drivers Handbook.