BIG Offroad 8" XJ leafs vs. custom Alcan leaf springs

mariocherokee

'12 4Runner
I talked to the guys at Rocklogic about some options for a new lift kit that could accommodate 35's with the cut out flares i have. They recommended a custom long arm set-up in the front that they could create, and an 8" leaf spring of some sort out back. We talked about the BIG offroad 8" leafs or ordering a pair of custom Alcans. I thought I would bring up the subject and get some additional opinions from anyone who wanted to voice one. Thanks-

mariocherokee

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I would suggest the Rubicon express leafs with shackles and some body trimming. I looked into this a great deall a couple months ago. The 8" leafs have so much arch that they don't flex. I could fit 35's where I sit now...rubi leafs/shacles and a 1"block/shim. Your welcome to come take a look or go for a ride.
Mbryson (Mr. Add-a-Leaf) will probably pipe up too.

BTW do you HAVE to have 35's?? they are hard on XJ's

Long arm is the only way to go up frt!!!!!!!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by rckcrlr
I would suggest the Rubicon express leafs with shackles and some body trimming. I looked into this a great deall a couple months ago. The 8" leafs have so much arch that they don't flex. I could fit 35's where I sit now...rubi leafs/shacles and a 1"block/shim. Your welcome to come take a look or go for a ride.

Hey, hey.....my add-a-leaf has served me well, but I'd be the first to admit I'd like to invest in a nice set of 4"ish leafs in the rear.....:D I'm sure the shackle is the key to why mine have been 'acceptable'. Running a 4Plus extended shackle.

35" is pretty tough on the XJ chassis. Be ready to check your unibody for cracks frequently and weld/reinforce as required :D. I'd stick to a solid 33" tire and stay with the D30 and 8.8 or D44 options in the rear.

Long arms are nice but not necessary......:D........Changing the angle on the lower control arms are necessary, though and there are a few ways to do that.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Originally posted by mbryson

I'd stick to a solid 33" tire and stay with the D30 and 8.8 or D44 options in the rear.

mariocherokee's got a D60 in the rear.:cool: hey, i'd just go with 33" tires and plenty of flex for them.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I tried to get a hold of somebody at big offroad about 9 months ago when he was having the deal on his leafs. I was looking at the 6" pack.... I couldn't get a hold of him over the phone, nor would he answer any emails.

so... I ended up going with RE 4.5" springs, sub-boarded my mounts and moved the axle back 2". Worked out excellent with a smooth ride and plenty of travel.

mariocherokee

'12 4Runner
I've heard about some frame reinforcement kits that weld/bolt on to cherokees. Would this be a way to go instead of constantly monitoring the condition of the chassis? Also I've heard that blocks cause problems....what problems? How much metal did you take off with the rubicon leafs and the shakle? and how big of a shackle did you use to fit 35's with a 4" spring mbryson? Thanks for all of the imput! Keep it coming!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by mariocherokee
I've heard about some frame reinforcement kits that weld/bolt on to cherokees. Would this be a way to go instead of constantly monitoring the condition of the chassis? ...

Not sure about any mass-produced kits, only custom ones like Rocklogic has done in the past. I do know that you will want to do something. We installed the Rock Ready 8" Lift on a freinds Jeep less than a year ago. He has only wheeled it a couple of real trips and it is already been a PITA, control arm mounts at the axle, rewelded, mounts at the frame are beginning to tear. I would seriously consider having a sub-frame built underneath it the same time you do a custom long arm set-up.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
If I remeber correctly, Big Offroad uses Alcan leafs that are specially made for Big Offroad, but don't qoute me on that.:D

I have a set of Skyjacker three inch leaf packs and a three inch add aleaf added into that, which netted me about 5 inches. Those five inches are not the most flexy or the smoothest riding but they work for now. With the 1.5 inch block, and the 2 inch shackle, it puts me right around 8 inches without my new rear bumper on. If i could do it again, I would run the Big Offroad leafs.

I would never go back to a short arm set up on the front, the flex and the ride of a long arm kit is awsome. :D

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by mariocherokee
I've heard about some frame reinforcement kits that weld/bolt on to cherokees. Would this be a way to go instead of constantly monitoring the condition of the chassis? Also I've heard that blocks cause problems....what problems? How much metal did you take off with the rubicon leafs and the shakle? and how big of a shackle did you use to fit 35's with a 4" spring mbryson? Thanks for all of the imput! Keep it coming!

I think it's a 3" extended shackle, netting 1.5" inches of lift........

Blocks.........I have a set of 2" blocks I'd sell you for a deal....tapered and everything. I run a 3/4-1"ish block and that's where my XJ sits 'level'......I didn't like the spring wrap I got with the 2" block, but that may be better with a nice set of 'lift' springs rather than my rebuilt/repackaged stock set.

There's two schools of thought on 'reinforcement' of the unibody.
1) trust that the engineers did their job and don't reinforce anything (this makes the chassis disposable after a period of time)---you'll still need to keep an eye on things

2) reinforce everthing you can think of and still monitor everything possible, reinforcing reinforcements if/as they stress other areas of the chassis that weren't designed to take any kind of stress........

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Yes the BO springs are built by Alcan. I had Alcans in the EB for a while, good springs.

But for the price and flex I would go the way Herzog did if you must be that high. RE's are about 1/2 the price of BO's.

The 3/4-1" blocks that MBryson and I run, don't effect wrap much and are basically a thick pinion shim. I had mine cut down from a 2" block.

mariocherokee

'12 4Runner
Originally posted by rckcrlr

Do you know if you can add additional leafs to the 4.5" RE leaf pack? Is this a good idea or is it better to use extended shackes and lift blocks? Would it be a better idea to use the 6" BIGoffroad leaf spring instead and use a longer shackle and lift blocks to stay away from the excessive arch? Where are you located rckcrlr....I might have to take you up on your offer! Also...are revolver shackles from tera-flex any good?

mariocherokee

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Stay AWAY from revolvers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The look cool on a ramp, but bend main leaves...do a search, we have talked about them a lot.

Adding leaves to a lift pack will only make it too stiff and get you right back in to trouble with arch. Run the least arch you can to maintain flex and ride. Shorter lift, more cutting/flares. The BO 6" is better than the 8", but still $$$ and I have been told pretty stiff.

I work in Sandy and live in Holladay.