big rig salvage yards?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
The horn went out on my wrangler, and I'm tired of retarded people cutting me off and doing stupid traffic maneuvers in my general vicinity without them knowing how I feel. Since I've got onboard air, I might as well make it worth while more of the time and rig up a big ol' air horn from a semi. Are there any diesel wrecking yards around?

Devin

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Check with some of the caterpillar places, that due heavy duty repair, plus places like england trucking, a guy I work with has one that we just hook up to the air compressor at around 80 psi, and it'll mess you up.:D

OrO

Offroad Overstock
I run THESE on my TJ. They are far beyond just funny or cool...they are dangerously loud! Most peoples reaction is madness...no laughing. They rock!:greg:

Last edited:

OrO

Offroad Overstock
TimB said:
Hey OrO - are you following me? ;) that link don't work. fix it, I need big obnoxious horns.
Link fixed.
Yes, I AM following you.:p I wish you could hear those horns...I put them on the RV too but without replumbing everything I was stuck w/ 1/4 line instead of the 3/8" they come with so they aren't quite "deafening". :D

Last edited:
Don't know about down your way, but two places come to mind:
Vriens Truck Parts - 850 W 1600 North, SLC
Rocky Mountain - 188 W 14th St, Ogden

I've personally bought a set from Vriens for $50.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Unimog said:
Don't know about down your way, but two places come to mind:
Vriens Truck Parts - 850 W 1600 North, SLC
Rocky Mountain - 188 W 14th St, Ogden

I've personally bought a set from Vriens for $50.

How do they sound? Did Vriens have a wide variety?

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
My horns may not be that loud, they are off a '70 Cadillac- there were 3 of them on the car. When I honk the horn at night the lights dim:D

DevinB said:
How do they sound? Did Vriens have a wide variety?

Great, although I haven't mounted them. They always have 20-30 trucks there in the yard. You pick which ones you want and remove the horns, hose, and valve. I found a set where the long horn was 30 inches long! They take a lot of air, but they really put out the volume! We were testing them out in my friend's garage and his neighbor from about 10 houses down the street came to complain. :ugh: