big tires + long road trip = ??????

muddin77

i ask anyone with experience with large tires and roadtrips. :confused: i have been stressing out on a way to get 2 of my bikes here from wisconsin. i know the obvious way to ship them or ride them. but i have alot of access to tools and shops to do some things to the truck back in wisconsin. so i have been tossing around and think i just have to man up and take the 1500 mile back to back drive. the truck is solid i know it will take it. my question to those who have experience, is it a bad idea??? (i have accepted the 7-9 mpg) i have a set of 39' mickey thompsons with some age to them i was planning to use, but i also have the tsl swampers. i dont want to burn up the tsl's but a friend said they are a much stronger tire, but they weigh alot more. i am completely lost and a wreck because i leave next month and dont know.:sick:

Last edited:

Mope

I'd personally look for a cheap combo of smaller radial tires/rims to put on it to make the trip. There are lots of cheap sets around I've seen lately.

muddin77

i have a set of 33's for safety inspections:rofl:, but with 4:56 gears and the th350 and no overdrive i cant imagine where my rpm's would be.

Mope

Perhaps even a better option would be to just rent a truck to drive there and back. You'd get a lot better gas mileage, and would enjoy the drive much more. If your doing it back to back, it may even be cheaper than another set of smaller tires.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I'd personally look for a cheap combo of smaller radial tires/rims to put on it to make the trip. There are lots of cheap sets around I've seen lately.

x2 If its financially possible, I would look in the classifieds on here or KSL and see about finding a set of smaller rubbers.

If not, I would probably stick with the Mickey's, IMO, they are a better highway tire and hold up a little better on asphalt. Especially if you're not wanting to wear out the TSL's. I would check the load range of both sets, I wouldn't recommend taking that long of a trip on anything lighter than a D rated. If they were smaller, C's would be ok, but I have seen a lot of big C rated tires come apart under heavy trucks on long trips.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps. Good luck on your trip, I would be more than happy to ride one of the bikes back for you, as long as its bigger than an 1100.;)

Mope

Cancel that last post, I just reread yours and saw you wanted to work on you truck back there, so obviously you need to have it there!

muddin77

thanks for all the input!! i have put on 500 miles this weekend (on and off road) and all worked out. just nervous cause i can feel all that rubber spin and curious if anyone had a big blow out or a wheel bearing take a crap. i just hate flying and to rent a truck would be nice just $$ if i drive it from here all the add on taxes, charges and i would by gone for 4 weeks. one is an R1 the other is a 900rr all stunt mods (not street legal). sorry no 1100 yet =(

Mope

Both bikes sound like lots of fun.

Didn't realize you would be there that long. I thought you meant go there snag, and return all in one big stinkin road trip.

Have fun with whatever route you take.

muddin77

thanks man! yeah its been over a year since i have seen the fam. and this state just screams to go for a bike ride, so i need them. im just stubborn an just want to do it. BUT,i look to you guys/ ladies for input. my family laugh @ the idea i know you all would give me some good sense and advice!;) i am still new to this game.

bumpitorcrawlit

I used to make the Wisconsin trip twice every year for 10 years. I can't imagine doing it on offroad tires. Loud and poor handling. I understand the issue of rpm's. You are in a pinch. Can you rent a reasonable car, then pull a little trailer on the way back. I can't imagine it would be much more expensive than replacing the tires you are going to wear out. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

cheepin

I would run the 33"ers.Rpms won't be that bad.Just don't run 80mph.I DD a '87 suburban on 32" tires with 4:10 gears and no OD.I usually run around 70mph on I-70.Or maybe find some cheap 35"ers.

muddin77

just checked with uhaul. they want $1208 to rent the smallest truck, plus cost of gas. :rofl: thanks for all your help guys. i think im just gonna have to fly home and ride one back. sucks but i will think of something else another day.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I put a lot of long distance highway miles on my rig with ~39's and wouldn't hesitate to do it more. As everyone knows, I drive my rig to the trail, setup camp and go wheelin'. Then hook up and go home.

They've all been with MT's. Bias Baja Claw's (39's) and now MTZ's (38's). The MTZ's are a lot more highway friendly - for ride, equal on noise. The Claw's, once they started to wear, really started getting out of balance and 45-50 was about as fast as you dared drive. Of course, if I would have kept them in balance, it might not have gotten worse? The MTZ's cruise at 80 with no issues, even with my camp trailer in tow.

bumpitorcrawlit

I would run the 33"ers.Rpms won't be that bad.Just don't run 80mph.I DD a '87 suburban on 32" tires with 4:10 gears and no OD.I usually run around 70mph on I-70.Or maybe find some cheap 35"ers.

I am going with almost the exact same setup. I have an 89 Suburban with 4:10 gears, no OD, and 33's. What is your tach reading when you are doing 70 mph?