big tires on stock wheels

Will3161

I picked up a 2 swampers at the wrecking yard today for cheap. I already had two 33-12.50's for the cherokee, and I've been looking for two to complete the set. These are way more aggressive than the sport kings I'm putting up front, but for 25 a piece, I couldn't pass it up. I know it's kind of redneck to run different tires in back than front, but whatever, why not. Only problem is their 14.50's not 12.50's (even more redneck, I know:D) but I'm on a shoestring budget and can't afford new wheels right now. I've got about 3-4 inches of lift with a s-10 spring pack (why I'm not sure exactly how much) but do you guys think they might fit? or is the backspacing just too much? I'm leaning towards no, since my 31-10.50's are about 2 inches from the leafs.

Mope

The stock wheel is way to skinny for that tire in my opinion. It sounds like you'd be hitting springs as well.
The other issue it the difference in diameter. 33's on the back and 31's on the front = blown transfer case.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
The stock wheel is way to skinny for that tire in my opinion. It sounds like you'd be hitting springs as well.
The other issue it the difference in diameter. 33's on the back and 31's on the front = blown transfer case.

Agreed, not worth the problems you will face once you lock it in.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member

Shawn said:
Agreed, not worth the problems you will face once you lock it in.

His orig. post says he already had 2 33's, and picked these up to complete the set, so the height isn't the issue. Just the width of the 14.5s on the stock wheels.

I agree that they are too wide for stock width/backspacing wheels. Also, 33's on a Cherokee with only 3-4" doesn't really work unless you are OK trimming a good amount of your fenders to make them fit. I'd do it, but that doesn't mean it's right.;)

Will3161

I would have a FULL set of 33's (I'm not that redneck:D). I know it will crown out the tire, but this thing is about 85% off-road anyway. It certainly isn't my DD. I'm fine cutting fenders, but if the tires hit the springs, I'm done. I can't deal with that other than spacers or wheels. I just don't want to mount the tires for nothing and then need new wheels anyway.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
OH come on, I'm running 14.5 wide SX's on 6.5" wide stock Chevy wheels, its not that bad, you just only run about 8 pounds of air and they flatten out.;):rolleyes::-\

xjjeeper

im running 285/75/16's on stock grand cherokee wheels and im pretty close to touching the leaf springs

74highboy

i got a set from a buddy for cheap and since i work at a tire shop its nice to have a set of 15' and 16's can always find some good used tires in the size i need

74highboy

i have the stock size ones off my cherokeeill double check the size next time i stop by my parents house