big wheelin machines

Ramme

Big Blue
OK. Here's a question for all you guys who have big rigs that you use just for offroad. If you have a huge Jeep that you use just to rock crawl then do you have to register, license, safety, and get emmisions done on it every year like a regular car?

Ramme

Caleb

well since mine isn;t running yet I dont know for sure, but I plan on liscensing it as a rec vehicle and insuring it as such...liability only...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by supergper
well since mine isn;t running yet I dont know for sure, but I plan on liscensing it as a rec vehicle and insuring it as such...liability only...

offroad vehicles do not require emissions. safety is for sure, license is just a sticker and you have to have insurance I believe. the problem is that if you license a street vehicle as an offroad vehicle, it can never go back to being licensed as a street vehicle. you have to keep it an offroad vehicle for life.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Originally posted by spencurai

offroad vehicles do not require emissions. safety is for sure, license is just a sticker and you have to have insurance I believe. the problem is that if you license a street vehicle as an offroad vehicle, it can never go back to being licensed as a street vehicle. you have to keep it an offroad vehicle for life.

So what do I need to do to register my Jeep as an offroad vehicle?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
go to the DMV and tell them you want to register it as an offroad vehicle when your registration comes due.

REMEBER, you cannot ever register it for onroad use after you have registered it for offroad use. it is a one way street!!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
What happens if you get pulled over in Moab on the way to or from a trail. If it's registered as an off-road vehicle and you carry insurance, what would they do?

Cody

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you have an offroad vehicle. IT DOES NOT DRIVE on the road. you will get a big FAT ticket. I know of people that had to remove the vehicle from the road and obtain a trailer to transport it. that is the drawback.

Caleb

yep I know that...but I have heard that it is possible to get it registered again as an on-road vehicle but its a HUGE PITA...I'm not worried about getting it street legal again...I made that decision when I removed every piece of emissions and all my fenders (not just flares) and the motor swap and the fuel cell and...well the list goes on...It is a risk I will take in Moab and such places that it wont be on the trailer...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
that is the benefit that some of these small towners have over us. They don't have to have emissions equipment to pass licensing requirements so they can ditch all that stuff right off the bat. Safety is another thing, you can still have a lot of safety stuff missing and get away with it in places like moab. The locals usually overlook it if you are driving responsibly.

I was going to make my zuk an offroad only this year but the lady at the DMV made it very clear that it can't go back. now I do have another title for another zuk that I could change the vin out on so that is not a big deal.....anyway...

redrock

It is a risk I will take in Moab and such places that it wont be on the trailer... [/B][/QUOTE]it is a risk i know a guy that owns offroad rig and drove it everywhere in moab during EJS i think he live or owns property there and on his way back from a trail he got pulled over and a ticket and they made him park it and go get his trailer but the next year he just drives where he want like you said its a risk

redrock

i am one of those guys that have weber carb that does away with all emissions i regester in differ county so i would do it just take a risk of getting a ticket i wouldn't stress about to much i am the worst for getting my rigs resgistered i go year or btter all the time:D :p :)

Nixter

on the road again...
I hear ya there! My weber carb blows nice fumes in the atmosphere. Living in Park City is nice, cuz they don't have emissions testing....(yet).;)