Bike weights...the real deal

Caleb

So every bike mfg dances around the weight issue, they'll give you the weight dry, or with fuel, but rarely will they let you compare year over year and provide the same info (Yamaha is notorious for this). So I thought it'd be interesting to get some actual weight of bikes. Steve's post here is what gave me the idea. So using his same method, this is what I found for my bikes:

2012 500 XC-W
F:121.4
R:126.5
2.25 Gal gas = 13.86lbs (figuring 6.16lbs for straight gas)
Total weight ready to ride = 247.9lbs (mfg claims 247lbs)
Seat Height: 38.5" (Claimed 38.19")

2008 300 XC
F:118.6
R:118.6
3.7 Gal gas = 25.9lbs (figuring 7lbs for mixed gas)
Total weight ready to ride = 237.2lbs (mfg claims 216.1lbs)
Seat Height 37.25" (Claimed 36.42")

So, post up with your bike weight, I'd be interested to see where different bikes are actually coming in at.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
well.....

I got 130 front wheel, 145 back wheel.

Not a ton of fuel in it either. What a pig!

Now you know why I want a 300! :p

Wow, spot on Greg :D Going to a 300, you're not going to know what to do with the weight savings :D (besides have a hell of a good time :rofl: )

It felt like 275#'s! :eek: When I rode Paul A's 300 it felt like a kids toy... this will be interesting.

Cascadia

Undecided
2007 KTM 250 XCF

124.6 front
138.4 rear
1.75 gallons gas =10.78 lbs

273.78 lbs Ready to Ride :mad:
Mfg. claims 236.33 dry weight.

Seat Height 37.5" (Claimed 36.42")

It didn't ever feel heavy to me before I weighed it but now that I know the weight it's a beast. That seems overly heavy to me though for a 250 so I think I'll re-check it tomorrow on more flat ground. I checked the front a few times so I know it was right. I only weighed the rear once. I couldn't lift the bike. I pulled my back earlier today so that made it a little difficult to weigh.

Caleb

2007 KTM 250 XCF

124.6 front
138.4 rear

It didn't ever feel heavy to me before I weighed it but now that I know the weight it's a beast. That seems overly heavy to me though for a 250 so I think I'll re-check it tomorrow on more flat ground. I checked the front a few times so I know it was right. I only weighed the rear once. I couldn't lift the bike. I pulled my back earlier today so that made it a little difficult to weigh.

I tried rolling my bike on to the scale and the 2x4 at the same time, the scale would just slide. So I got out my m/c jack and just dropped the bikes straight down on the scale, worked much better :D

GAR

2007 KTM 250 XCF

124.6 front
138.4 rear

That does seem a bit hefty for a 250.
This is a cool thread. I'm going to weigh mine tomorrow. I've been thinking about putting it on a diet so this might be motivation.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Now you know why I want a 300! :p

It felt like 275#'s! :eek: When I rode Paul A's 300 it felt like a kids toy... this will be interesting.

Im pretty surprised Calebs 500 weighs so little. I wish I would have weighed the 400. For whatever reason the 450 seems lighter to me

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm going to weigh mine tomorrow. I've been thinking about putting it on a diet so this might be motivation.

How exactly would you go about putting your bike on a diet? I'd be interested in doing this now.

I wonder how big of a difference add ons make.
My bike has heavy thick tubes
Brand new tires, not stock
Hand Guards with thick braces
Maybe a couple other minor things.

Last edited:

Caleb

Im pretty surprised Calebs 500 weighs so little. I wish I would have weighed the 400. For whatever reason the 450 seems lighter to me

I'm a bit surprised as well, although the 4T bikes carry their weight way different than the 2T bikes do. My 500 feels way heavier than my 300 just moving them around the garage, etc because a lot of the engine weight is up high on the engine in the valve train. Then when I go to lift each one on to the bike stand and the 300 still feels lighter, but not a ton.

GAR

How exactly would you go about putting your bike on a diet? I'd be interested in doing this

Good question, not real sure. There's some stuff on my I think I can remove but not sure it will make a big difference. We'll see

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My bikes are all girls, as i could never ride another man.. And it is entirely inappropriate to ask a woman her weight. :D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
99 YZ400F
Mfg claimed dry weight 242lbs

About full (3 gallons) of gas (should weigh 18.9 lbs). Bar guards, bark busters, skid plates, kickstand.
120lbs front, 144lbs rear, 264lbs.

36" seat height. (Low point)

Maybe we should weigh ourselves with gear and add that to the bike!

I want to set the sag on mine also.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I told my wife what we were doing here and said I may have to get a lighter bike. She told me to quit going back for seconds and thirds and I wouldn't need a lighter bike. Sounds like something she would say because we had this same conversation about snowmobiles.

Of course being the man's man that I am, I let her know that I'd leave her for a comment like that but I am not going to because that would make her happy. :)

I will go weigh my neighbor's TTR125L with e-start for comparison to the CRF150F

07 CRF150F 1/2 tank of gas (2.2 gal capacity = 7.26lbs)

Front: 104
Rear: 119
Total: 223

Mfg Claimed: 223 Dry
I think its lighter than claimed weight.

Seat Height: 32 3/4
Mfg Claimed: 32 1/2

06 WR450 3/4 tank of gas (10.4lbs)

Front: 123
Rear: 142
Total: 265

Mfg Claimed: 247.5 Dry
You add the gas, coolant and oil and it would be close to the claimed.

Seat Height: 36 3/4 Measured where you naturally sit.
Mfg Claimed: 39.2 Must be from the highest point???