Bilstein Shock Valving Question

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
So I am in need of some new rear shocks for the Jeep. I am looking at the Bilstein 5100. I have a 4-4.5" Lift with Long Arms. I need a shock that measures roughly 24.25" Extended and 15" Collapsed. The problem I am running into is that I have eliminated the bar pin on the top mounting point for the shock. The shock that is specified from Bilstein is specifically valved for my application and is built for the TJ is part # 33-185934. That would be a perfect fit if it didn't have the bar pin mounting point. So I looked at the 5125 series that is eyelet to eyelet for the length I need, that part # is 33-186542. The problem with that shock is that it's valved to 255/70. I am worried that the valving will be too stiff for the rear of the Jeep. I don't carry a back seat but I do have a box loaded with tools and everything I could need out on the trail. What do you do when the specified shock is a bar pin and you no longer have that? I know that is a dumb question but I don't know the answer and Google is not finding what I need.

What valving are you running and do you like it? Is 255/70 too stiff?

Thanks everyone.

Jack-It

The Suspension Experts
Vendor
your best option, in our opinion anyway, would be to remove that bar pin and bushing and replace with a new bushing and sleeve.

we carry the daystar poly bushings and tons of sleeves just for this reason.

that way you get to keep the valving you want with a shock designed for your vehicle, as well as the lifetime warranty of the 5100 shock, over the 90 day you would get with a 5125 series.

hope that helps. hit us up, we'll be sure to hook you up with everything you need to do the swap.

FYI, if you decide to go that route we do have those shocks in stock.