birf eliminators

billylight

i want to here from anyone who has run these. what is the week link, has anyone broken these and what size tire were you running? are they any stronger or are they like stock or what? let me know.

if your talking about toy axles then i would get the 27 or 30 spline chrome shafts that longfield makes, my buddy ZUK has toys with a welded front and he has the 27 spline chrome ones. with 37's and a non stop heavy foot he cant break them, i dont know a ton about the elimators but i do know the new style birf joints he has are really strong, jason.

notajeep

Just me
My friend Tim runs them, (rotbox's brother) and he seems to like them just fine, although he is a rather light-footed wheeler and never had any problems with the stock birfields to begin with.
IMO, chromo birfs are the way to go. I run 27 spline longs with my 36's spool and hydro assist and have yet to break one after 1 year of living in Moab.
If you bust your u joint in the eliminators, you now have a broken u joint and probably a busted innner and or outer shaft that were custom made. $$$
Dan

DToy

I did quite a bit of reading and research on this a few years ago. I went with the 30-spline longfields and have never regretted it. I've been running 39.5" Iroks for nearly 2 years now and have yet to have a moment's trouble with the longfields.

are'nt the eliminators just dana 44 sized u-joints? speaking out of text and not knowing, but i would assume if you had the chrome shafts made that can hold the U-joint whats to stop you from using dana 44 CTM's. agin i know really nothing about the eliminators, call me old fashion i just run a 60 front, jason.

wr250

insert lame comment
look at this chart from longfields site:

torquetestgraph.jpg

note that the d60s were tested in the "straight ahead" position (otherwise the ears break off) , while the longs were tested at full lock.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yep, I'd just get the 30 spline longs, I remember when redline offroad in seattle came out with the first eliminator then it was bought out by randys.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yep, I'd just get the 30 spline longs, I remember when redline offroad in seattle came out with the first eliminator then it was bought out by randys.

You are young to the Toyota lineage my son ;)

Warn had a birf-eliminator kit many moons ago, and even it was purchased from some other company at the time as I recall. They cancelled it along with many of their other Black Diamond products and the rights to said products were later sold to other companies (Redline might have ended up with the Warn setup?). This all occured long before Randy popped into the scene. I've got a couple of product cut-away demos of the Warn Birf-eliminatror and FF kits.. neato, but they never went too far. There are still some old Cruiser running around with them.

In addition, companies here in SLC were effectively doing "Birf-Eliminators" back in the 80's (ie: Advanced 4WD, Rocky Mountain Axle-Charles, etc). However the neat thing then was to use D44 outers (knuckles and all) on the Toyota housings. I still see customers running them from time to time, not a bad option when there were zero birf upgrades and D60's were considered overkill. Now that Longs, et all are out, I see no reason to run anything but. There are a coupld other limitations of the Toyota style axle, but none have gone un-addressed... If your going to go as far as to "eliminate" birfs, you might as well eliminate the axle and go D60, etc.

Here is an old Warn kit:

Attachments

• warn-kit-2.jpg
    warn-kit-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
In my opinion I think that 90% of people out there will not have any issues with the eliminators up to 36"ish tall tires. But for those few that run 37+ inch tires and know how to beat on their rigs than 30spline longs (or an axle swap) are almost a must. I'm certain that a pinion gear will break long before the 30spl longs.

I think that it all depends on how much you want to spend. I'm personally sold for Longs wether it's 27 or 30 spline...