Bizzare toyota spark problem

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I bought a first gen truck for cheep. It has a 20r but it seems to have a 22r ignitor. it has been monkeyed together. It lost spark yesterday. I drug it home. Started to play with it tonight. Grabbed the timing light for ease of spark recognition. Was playing with a different ignightor from my beast, but that didn't seem to make it have spark. There are two wires that ground behind the non nipindenso regulator, that were loose from the fire wall due to a 1/2 inch bolt being used instead of a 12mm. But that seemed like it was there for a long time that way. Well there is a stupid fusable (homemade) that wasn't blown, but I tried a solid wire to jump it anyways..... NOTHING :mad: So I basically put everything back together and cram the fusable together (really ghetto) and suddenly I have spark. It starts and runs :cool:
Now the weird part.
I have the timimg light on the coil wire for spark, But I wonder if the distributor is on the right tooth. So i hook to #1 and look. It's a little off, but thats irrelivent. The truck isn't running all that well, so I go adjust the carb a little (thats weird too) and it runs better. Then it starts running really crappy ( does this now and again) So I jump on the light to see if I can tell anything..... NO SPARK. But the truck is running. So I test the coil wire... good spark. #1 No spark (hmmm this may be a problem :rofl: ) #2 spark, #3 spark, #4 NO SPARK.... WTF?????
So after 30 seconds of this I cant remeber what I did but the truck suddenly jumps back to happy. spark in all 4 plugs now...... I had to replace the vacume advance on the distributer when I bought it.... How do I tell if the internal igniter in the distributer is working right?

Last edited: