Black Bear and Imogene Passes, Sept 2015

LT.

LT... there are several switchbacks that are VERY tight. It's unnerving in a JKU with a 116" wheelbase, what's the wheelbase on the truck you're considering taking? Does it turn tight? Beyond those switchback is steep and loose scree that gives away FAST. If you go, take pics! The colors down there are AMAZING right now!

The truck is 133" wheelbase. Maybe black bear is out then. How about imogene then? Is there another trail I can run in that area other than black bear? Your video makes it look like imogene trail can be run in 2wd and quickly.

Thanks for the heads up.

LT.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The truck is 133" wheelbase. Maybe black bear is out then. How about imogene then? Is there another trail I can run in that area other than black bear? Your video makes it look like imogene trail can be run in 2wd and quickly.

Thanks for the heads up.

LT.

Yeah, I think that's wise... 133" is pretty long. I was puckering with the JKU on those switchbacks!

I would suggest Ophir Pass, it starts out just above Silverton and also drops into Telluride and is amazingly scenic as well, but not terrifying. Then you could pickup Imogene Pass to Ouray. Imogene has plenty of stuff that you'll need 4WD for, the video may not show it but some of those roads are steep, having the gear reduction for climbing and descending really helps and there are plenty of ledges to drive up and down. The video doesn't show how slow we were going at times, but it's far from a smooth 2WD road.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

Thanks for the heads up.

LT.

Imogene has some switchbacks too, and some spots up on top that wouldn't be fun in 2WD. I came from the Ouray side and climbed them, they'd probably be easier if you came from the Telluride side and descended. Either way, your long truck would be a challenge to get through there. Doable, maybe? Folks on RME have taught me to never say never, but I don't think I'd take a full size long bed over that pass unless I had to.

There's tons else to do in the area though, Ophir Pass is definitely doable for you. Check out Colorado Trails - Southwest Region, that's what we used and found it to be a great resource.

Greg

Admin
Imogene has some switchbacks too, and some spots up on top that wouldn't be fun in 2WD. I came from the Ouray side and climbed them, they'd probably be easier if you came from the Telluride side and descended. Either way, your long truck would be a challenge to get through there. Doable, maybe? Folks on RME have taught me to never say never, but I don't think I'd take a full size long bed over that pass unless I had to.

There's tons else to do in the area though, Ophir Pass is definitely doable for you. Check out Colorado Trails - Southwest Region, that's what we used and found it to be a great resource.

While there are some switchbacks on Imogene, they aren't nearly at treacherous as Black Bear's, which is what I was getting at. I think a longbed truck would be fine up there, many of the tour 4x4's are fullsize Chevy's and they're all over the mountains.

Thank y'all. I appreciate the advise. Also looking at engineer pass as well.

LT.

Engineer is another classic.... there is so much to see down there, best bet is to spend a decent weekend and put together a few routes over the mountains. One of my favorites is Corkscrew Gulch.

LT.

While there are some switchbacks on Imogene, they aren't nearly at treacherous as Black Bear's, which is what I was getting at. I think a longbed truck would be fine up there, many of the tour 4x4's are fullsize Chevy's and they're all over the mountains.

Engineer is another classic.... there is so much to see down there, best bet is to spend a decent weekend and put together a few routes over the mountains. One of my favorites is Corkscrew Gulch.

I came across something called the Alpine Loop. This sounds like a stock rig with proper tire placement can complete the loop. Perhaps this would be the right way to get baptized into the San Juan mountain passes.

I have been so amazed by the photos you have taken during your fall colors tour. I am trying to talk the wife into going and doing some light wheeling and camping. Maybe next year?

LT.

zkeys

For reference, I did Black Bear in my 139" wheelbase Nissan Titan. It was do-able, but most definitely have somebody spot you on the switchbacks. Very fun trail, and the views are worth the little bit of butt clenching near the end. Please note, I did lose two mudflaps on BB making some of the turns. One is pictures below.

Imogene would be more than fine for your vehicle.

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum as of today and I'm excited to have finally found some people that have recently been on the trails in the San Juan area!! I have stayed in Ouray on two different occasions years ago and hit most of the trails in the area with the exception of black bear. My family and I are going again in July and we will be driving our GMC Yukon XL (suburban) as we now have 5 kids. My question is can I safely take the Yukon on engineer pass and Imogene pass? It has a 2" lift with 33's but is otherwise stock. I do have a lot of off roading experience but when I was there before I took my 76 CJ-7 that was heavily modified. The part of engineer that worries me is the rocky area coming up from Ouray. In a stock jeep people were having to pick their lines to keep from bottoming out. Imogene if I remember correctly has some very tight areas right as you descend from the top toward Telluride that I'm worried would be an extremely tight fit for a full size suv. What are your thoughts? As I said I haven't been there in years and I know trail conditions change. Any input is appreciated! We plan to hit several other trails while we are there but engineer and Imogene are two of the most scenic in my opinion. Thanks!
John

Greg

Admin
Hey John, welcome to RME! I think with careful line selection, keeping your tires on the high spots, etc you could get a Suburban over Engineer and Imogene. I don't think Imogene gets crazy-tight as far as switchbacks, but there are plenty of places where you're up against a rock wall and the sheer size of a Suburban will get your attention real quick! There are some pretty deep washouts along the way that will probably hang up the tailend, too.

You'd be wise to go with some that could possibly help you out with spotting, a quick yank if you get hung-up, etc. I won't say you shouldn't do it, because plenty of people take stock fullsize 4x4's over those trails.

Hope that helps!?