Black Bear Pass rollover

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Pretty bad rollover this weekend.

A Jeep rolled off and down several switchbacks on Black Bear Pass onto Bridal Veil Road near Telluride on Saturday, seriously injuring a 23-year-old Durango woman who was in the passenger seat.

The woman, whose name was not released because of federal medical privacy laws, was flown to St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction from Telluride Medical Center, said Susan Lilly, spokeswoman for San Miguel County.

A 22-year-old man from Durango, whose name also was not released by the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office, told deputies he had shut off the Jeep’s engine, applied the emergency brake and stepped out of the Jeep Wrangler Sport to help direct a driver behind him around a tight turn.

The man said the Jeep, with the woman in the passenger seat, started to roll.

The man said he tried to jump back in the vehicle to try and regain control of it, but was thrown into rocks when it left the road.

The Jeep rolled down several switchbacks ejecting the woman before coming to rest on Bridal Veil Road.

Both the man and the woman were initially taken to Telluride Medical Center.

The man suffered minor injuries.

Lilly said the woman suffered more serious traumatic injuries and was flown to the hospital in Grand Junction.

The couple also had a dog in the Jeep, and Lilly said the dog is safe.

Capture.JPG

rholbrook

Yes, that's the descent off the mountain.
A year ago we did all the high peaks in SW Colorado and had an amazing time. Below this section we pulled out our climbing harnesses and shimmied along the Via Ferrata. I remember that section well where you had to do a 5 point turn. I had a 4 place bike rack on the back of my JK because Harrison wanted to ride all the down hills on his bike.