Black Friday death

Paul R

I just saw this on KSL. It makes me really glad I didn't go out and battle this morning. I understand wanting to get a deal and being early, but stampeding an employee is totally ridiculous! I can't believe this is all in the name of Christmas giving :-\

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Walmart..........

I think that going out today to shop is an insane idea. Especially when you can sit on your computer, order the same stuff for the same price and pay a couple bucks in shipping. Personally, I also think that "Christmas" is no longer a holiday, it's a marketing day and nothing more.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Walmart..........

I think that going out today to shop is an insane idea. Especially when you can sit on your computer, order the same stuff for the same price and pay a couple bucks in shipping. Personally, I also think that "Christmas" is no longer a holiday, it's a marketing day and nothing more.

Please tell me how to get the $349.99 HP laptop that was in the Office Depot Ad from my computer. I am willing to pay for shipping.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think Black Friday has little to do with Christmas at all. The majority of the people are not shopping for Christmas gifts. They are shopping for themselves.

U

unltd1

A girl's two cents...

I woke up at 4:20am this morning. I had a bunch of items that were store-only kick ass deals on a list that I wanted to get other people (not myself, as a previous post assumed) for Christmas. Tuesday was payday, so I knew it was now or never.

I hit Shopko at 4:45 and was probably the hundredth person in line. People were very excited about the day, and everyone had smiles on their faces. I was right behind an older gentleman who was, like me, by himself. When 5:00 hit, people started moving quickly toward the door, but nobody pushed or shoved, and everyone was very cordial. I got what I needed at the first store and was quickly taken through the line by very polite and happy associates.

I left Shopko and went to Sears, which also opened at 5:00 to try and get digital frames for Goat and his family. They were already gone. Again, nobody was being rude or angry, and all the associates were happy and friendly.

I left Sears and went to a secret store that opened at 6:00 to buy Goat his special gift. I got there at about 5:55. Much shorter line, because it's a really small, local shop. People were, again, happy and friendly, and I got what I needed and was taken through the line very quickly.

I left the secret store and went to Smiths at 4th and 5th, which also opened at 5:00 to try and find a blow-up mattress. They sucked, so I just bought some towels and washcloths for our Christmas guests and got out. Again, happy, friendly people all around.

I left Smiths and went to Bath and Body Works which opened at 7:00. I got there at 6:50, and there were two people waiting. The deals at Bath and Body Works were kind of an unknown special, so I got in very quickly, got cool stuff, and got out.

That was it. I stopped by McDonald's and picked up breakfast for myself and Goat, and was home by 7:30. Awesome morning.

This was my first time doing the whole Black Friday thing, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I, like many many many of the people who were out today, decided to brave the crowds because money is VERY tight this year, and I need to get the best deals now, while I have the money in the bank and can spread it out a little further. Now I can relax and not worry about waiting until the last minute to try to find something.

Every year you read about one or two people who die in a stampede. Every year. It's unfortunate, but people are total idiots on a grand scale. Everything we do as a society winds up killing one or two people. Didn't a bunch of people die in a club fire because Great White used pyrotechnics inside? That doesn't mean you shouldn't go to see a band in a club anymore. We're just dumb.

I had a great time today. It really was a lot better than I feared, and I usually hate shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meat_

Banned
I hate crowds of more than 4 people, so big sales are not for me..... oddly enough I don't mind a bunch of people on a trail (most of the time)

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Personally, I also think that "Christmas" is no longer a holiday, it's a marketing day and nothing more.

Couldn't agree more. All Christmas is anymore is "See-if-I-Can-Buy-You-a-Bigger-and-Better-Gift-Than-You-Gave-Me Day" or "I-Gave-You-a-Gift-but-You-Didn't-Give-Me-One-So-I'm-Better-Than-You Day."

unltd1 said:
A girl's two cents...

I seriously believe that's because you were in Utah. In general, the people here are much more aware of the people around them and are much more polite, courteous, and sincere. I NEVER saw this when I lived in California. Everyone there was an A-hole, couldn't give two craps about anyone but themselves.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Went grocery shopping at costco so we could get more done today. It was less busy than a typical Saturday :cool: