blown engine.......options

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I was hoping I could last through the summer, but I'm not so sure at this point.

Tonight I turned the jeep around in the garage so I wouldn't have to work in direct 110 degree sunlight, and I noticed my normally blue smoke coming out of my 6" chrome stacks :) was white instead. And I caught the sweet whiff of antifreeze. Crap, so I've got a bad head gasket.

Let's talk engine options. I've got a 88 or 89 Chevy 350, TBI for those who don't know. I see the options as follows:

A) replace with a rebuilt long block. (similar to what you can get at checker but I've head bad things about getting them from there.
B) rebuild as cheaply as possible. Bare minimum.......get a standard rebuild kit, gaskets, seals, bearings. This assumes the crank is in good condition and the cylinder walls aren't hosed.
C) Rebuild for power! OK, I can't afford a ZZ4 or LS1 crate motor so lets not even discuss it. But If I were to rebuild, what give the most bang for the buck? .030 overbore? Plus what else? I want my factory TBI system to work with it so I believe I can't get too far away from factory-like specs. I was considering adding the vortec iron heads (and accompanying intake manifold), along with a K&N type filter, what else? I like to rock crawl, drive fire roads, run the dunes once in a while, drive on the freeway.......It's kind of a do it all type of rig. I don't need a race car motor; I want it to be reliable and efficient.

Suggestions? Edumacate me on engine stuff.
EZ

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I like option D

Find another low-milage suitable TBI, that way you pull the motor you have, make an easy swap back in. Throw the old one on an engine stand and rebuild it as you get time and money.

You get tons of spare parts out of the deal, and it has to be the cheapest way to go for the time being. Seems like rebilding it cheaply is a bad option, if your gonna do it once, do it right, otherwise all the expensive machine work has to be done again when your rebuild it a second time.

Just a couple thoughts... :D

BTW, how is the new baby and mother? All going well?

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Option D? Option D??? Where was that one????? :) Kidding.

Wow, that sounds like a good idea. I even have an engine stand! The only thing with that one is I would have to do the swap twice instead of once. I could probly do it over a weekend with your help! I picked up my motor for $100, I doubt I will be as lucky again.

Thanks for asking, they are both doing very well. :) Getting chubby and growing (baby) and getting thinner (mom). (The way you want it to be).

EZ

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by EZRhino
... I could probly do it over a weekend with your help! I picked up my motor for $100, I doubt I will be as lucky again.

Thanks for asking, they are both doing very well. :) Getting chubby and growing (baby) and getting thinner (mom). (The way you want it to be).

EZ

You know I'll help.... :D

Glad to hear they are doing fine... :D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
EZ, If you rebuild it, it could cost $1,500.00 or more,,, including the heads.
If money is an issue then try and find a cheep runner.

If this is in your price range build it for torque.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Hey Schwan (?),

You say build it for torque......well no kidding. Can you be more specific along the lines of what components to use?

EZ

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Well for one, a good set of high flow heads would be a good start. This is where you have to do some research for I don't know much about the TBI/vortec heads.

Cam, Lifters, Rockers, flat top pistons, Manifold, Headers, all these help. There are alot of little tricks the machine shop can do to help get an extra HP here and there.

I can recomend a Killer Machine Shop if you want.

Keep in mind that with you TBI you can do all you want to the motor but if you don't chip it right it won't make a bit of difference.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The Vortec heads really are an amazing value and probably the best HP bang for the buck you can buy. 1.6 ratio roler rockers also provide a good power boost for the money without hurting low end torque. If it was me I would never build anouther small block with out stroking it. The kits available now do not cost too much more than regular crank kits and the torque will be much much more impressive. I have a friend running a 383 with GM TBI so you can keep your injection. You should also look in to a Goodwrench replacment engine they are not much more than a rebuild(Scogin Dickey is usually the cheepest) and they have a three year warrenty.

harkinoff

something to do...
if you want torque, build a stroker, "383" they put out almost as much torque as a 454...otherwise got to chevy and buy a crate motor, they are about 1200.00 with warranty

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a tired motor and tranny, I'm currently putting a 383 together for the scout, R.P.M. is doing the machine work. they did another engine for me, they did a sweet job, they have also done some of my buddies engines, all good reports...

Last edited:

ALF

SURE!?
Originally posted by harkinoff
buy a crate motor, they are about 1200.00 with warranty

exactly right I bought one for 1179 and it is rated at 249 with a cast iron intake, manifolds and 600 cfm carb. Plus no waiting for a machine shop to do the work, most dealers got em in stock.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by alf4444

exactly right I bought one for 1179 and it is rated at 249 with a cast iron intake, manifolds and 600 cfm carb. Plus no waiting for a machine shop to do the work, most dealers got em in stock.
wow, that's pretty good.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by alf4444

The later (87 and later TBI one piece seal motors) are a little more but still a good value. I still think the money could be better spent building a stump pulling 383.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Bill Mitchell and Word products now sell a 454 Small Block thats right "small block". They have done their 427ci crate motors one better. They are based on their motown blocks with a 4" stroke and 4.25" bore. 600hp with aluminum heads and 575 pound feet of torque. To top it all it runs on 91 octane and has a 24,000 2 year warantee. This is my new dream motor and in my opinion with a F.A.S.T. FI setup the ultimate Jeep engine. It might cost a little more than the average rebuild or factory replacment but it's only money right.

about $10,000