blown head gasket upgrade advice on 4.0

Jeepin' Josh

Black 2001 XJ
hey guys I have been looking all day and am going in circles so i'm just gonna ask some advice here.... 6 months ago I blew a head gasket and cracked my heads in my 98 xj I had it pinned and milled new gasket kit and bolts and it still leaked cracked pinned not welded or anything so I swapped and retrofitted my 01 xj engine into it.... now its head gasket is blown so I'm wanting to go to the 7120 head in my 98 xj but 01 engine with the cracked 0331 head... the intake and exhaust manifold and distributer is all 98 so its basically a 98 on a01 block... will 7120 head require and adapter or be bolt on since I Don need a coil pack mount and my intake and exhausted is 98 so no cats... also the 7120 has a spot for temperature sending unit which I'm thinking is what is messed up with mine cuz I got from OK to pinned temperature in 2 seconds... there's no warning sensor wise just smell sou d and power loss...

anyways that's the background but I'm replacing the blown head gasket and probably cracked head and want to try to fix it with the better preforming less crack prone head if compatible.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I learned the hard way from my son's xj that there are a few different water pumps out there... one that runs backwards... I installed it and it never sent water into the engine block,,, my son took the xj for a long drive and overheaded the block and cracked the head...

So check your water pump to make sure the vanes are going in the tight directions with the serp belt on right....

Jeepin' Josh

Black 2001 XJ
I've replaced the thermostat the radiator the water pump and every other component on the engine... what I need is a new head so just wanna know if the 7120 will be bolt on since I have 98 exhaust and intake manifolds and no coil pack to worry about making a bracket for...

Jeepin' Josh

Black 2001 XJ
OK guys here are the three heads I found on eBay. 2 are 0630 and 1 is 7120... any advice? this way I get the valve job done too and its all just bolt on but one says its been ported and Polish to 120 dbls?? I'm so confused...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-4-0-LITER-REBUILT-CYLINDER-HEAD-/160660801703

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-4-0-Rebuilt-head-AMC-Jeep-98-04-0630-/350062701235

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-4-0-Rebuilt-head-AMC-Jeep-91-97-7120-/350388379428

so there's the eBay ones... I have seen them rebuilt on some company web pages for @ $200.00 but that's just a bare head I think... I've read hundreds of pages online and been through a trillion forums but I need to order the head TODAY before I loose more than just my job (which I just did becase it's my daily driver). thanks in advance for the help!!?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It's great that you replaced all of those parts, but you still didn't address the issue of whether or not you have the right water pump on there. A new head will just have issues again if the water pump is not the correct flow pattern.

Jeepin' Josh

Black 2001 XJ
It's great that you replaced all of those parts, but you still didn't address the issue of whether or not you have the right water pump on there. A new head will just have issues again if the water pump is not the correct flow pattern.

I get what your saying about possibly having the wrong water pump but I don't... unless autozone is giving me the wrong part number on their computer system... is there another way you want me to check???? I have the one it calls for..